How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
mjbarger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I purchased a similar pyramid to put in my center console and had to do a bit of modification (larger sub), but it sounds substantially better.

mjbarger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #17
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

any help with wiring would be wonderful!

03 TJ here. just purchased a Kicker comp vt sub
Nishbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishbot View Post
any help with wiring would be wonderful!

03 TJ here. just purchased a Kicker comp vt sub
What amp? And what sub? If you have the new 6.5" vt sub, you pretty much have to get a new amp. The 08CVT654 is setup for 150W and is a 4-ohm sub. The stock amp is ~75W but only at 1-ohm, raising that to 4-ohms leaves you with roughly 18W which would grossly under power that unit. So which one you got?

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
badgtho
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ok...just did this.

the stock sub in my 05 was a dual voice coil... it took 2 positives and 2 negatives. this DIY suggests using the gray and black wires. those were both positives in my case. i used the red and black wires, not the gray and brown wires.
badgtho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
Sambone
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Pyramid Subwoofer

Archer,

How does that Pyramid Subwoofer sound? I just ordered one today (2/19/09) Your detailed overview of the console and woofer replacement is awesome, thanks man. Just bought an '04 Limited and the Sub was blown. Couldn't stand it. Jeep wanted $298 for a new one. I about died. That must include the amp, woofer and both front seats.

Anyway, just curious about the sound thing. Thanks again.

If you love something, set it free, if it comes back, then it was meant to be, if it doesn't, hunt it down and kill it.
Sambone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #21
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I really can't compare it to stock, as my stock sub was junk when I bought my Jeep.

You can hear it, and feel it, a bit. You're not going to win any competitions with it, but for under $20 it works well enough. Give it a try. The price is right, and you have nothing to lose.
ArcherAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
sky77373
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The previous owner of my Jeep had installed a 3-way Pioneer in place of the factory sub & it sounded pretty bad. I can't compare to the factory sub, but I was surprised how well the Pyramid replacement sounded. It's not going to be a large volume of bass, but it covers the mid bass and limited low bass ranges with fairly clear sound...
sky77373 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #23
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been looking for this writeup! Now I can upgrade!

Last edited by TJamz; 02-21-2009 at 08:20 AM..
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #24
usktrw02

My sub has also stopped working. How do you know if it's the sub or the amp that has failed? Thanks
usktrw02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #25
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usktrw02 View Post
My sub has also stopped working. How do you know if it's the sub or the amp that has failed? Thanks
i'm in the same situation... I bought a wrangler and never even knew there was a sub there! I'm getting no sound from it though. None at all. So im going to use the instructions in this thread to check it out and replace if needed.

Looking at the service manual PDF, I also see this:

Quote:
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AMPLIFIED
SUBWOOFER
Any diagnosis of the Audio system should
begin with the use of the DRB IIIt diagnostic
tool. For information on the use of the DRBIII,
refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Service
Manual.

Diag. And Testing.
(1) Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
Turn the radio receiver on. Adjust the balance and
fader controls to check the performance of each individual
speaker. Note the speaker locations that are
not performing correctly.
(2) Disconnect the wire harness connector from the
amplified subwoofer. Turn the ignition switch to the
ON position. Turn the radio ON. Check the radio
choke relay wire harness connector. If not OK, repair
shorted or open wires as necessary. If OK, go to
(STEP #3).

(3) Turn the radio off. Turn the ignition switch to
the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery
negative cable. Remove the radio and the amplified
subwoofer. Check both the speaker feed (+) circuit
and return (–) circuit cavities for the inoperative
speaker location(s) from the radio wire harness connectors
and to the amplified subwoofer for continuity.
In each case, there should be continuity. If not OK,
repair the shorted speaker feed (+) and/or return (–)
circuit(s) to the speaker as required. If OK, replace
the amplified subwoofer.
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
usktrw02

Fixed

Archer - Thanks for the write up. The stealership wanted $425 to fix, I did it for $20 & 1 hour total time. Sound quality equal or better than stock.
usktrw02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #27
benzero
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone think that this 6.5 sub (or something like it) would fit in the overhead pods? I was thinking about maybe using some 3 ways in the front 4x6 spot and running my amp to two of these in the pods instead of the regular 5.25. I had read that 6.5 will fit in there as long as you use a different grille. Has anyone tried that?
benzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #28
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzero View Post
Anyone think that this 6.5 sub (or something like it) would fit in the overhead pods? I was thinking about maybe using some 3 ways in the front 4x6 spot and running my amp to two of these in the pods instead of the regular 5.25. I had read that 6.5 will fit in there as long as you use a different grille. Has anyone tried that?
Even if it would, don't do it. Subs in the open turbulent atmosphere like that would be damaged and sound horrible. You want the subs in the static atmosphere down low. Don't forget to go for the 5.25" upgrade in the dash.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #29
benzero
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
Even if it would, don't do it. Subs in the open turbulent atmosphere like that would be damaged and sound horrible. You want the subs in the static atmosphere down low. Don't forget to go for the 5.25" upgrade in the dash.
yeah, i think im buying some 6.5 2 ways today to put in the pods. I am looking into the 5.25's for the front, but I wanted to see if there is a way to make brackets for them out of the stock brackets in there by just cutting it and drilling new holes. if anyone has done this, let me know. I think it's going to go in this weekend. next weekend im probably going to pull that crappy stock deck out and put in a clarion or insignia. i don't know if I'll end up with any type of sub or not.
benzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #30
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

there are aftermarket mounting brackets to upgrade the dash speakers. quadratec may have them but i think there's a place called the off road toy store that has them too.

here's a link: http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merch...T-IntAcc-Sound

Last edited by finsout; 02-27-2009 at 09:27 AM..
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.