How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #226
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry if this is a duplicate info but I just noticed quadratec has offered a DVC sub that will fit in the center console and provide the best function for the oem unit. Doesn't have an ohm rating but the fit looks good and the cone is made of coated paper which is a plus over the oem standard paper. Killer part tho is the price at 89.99.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_1001.htm

Unread 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #227
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Sorry if this is a duplicate info but I just noticed quadratec has offered a DVC sub that will fit in the center console and provide the best function for the oem unit. Doesn't have an ohm rating but the fit looks good and the cone is made of coated paper which is a plus over the oem standard paper. Killer part tho is the price at 89.99.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_1001.htm
You're definitely paying a premium...but it's plug and play and the rated identical with the factory unit. For those that don't want to dremel and drill it's perfect.

thanks!
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #228
wpark013
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Kicker CVT65

Unread 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #229
doshounds22
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=wpark013;11531724]Kicker CVT65

Ditto on the Kicker, very little cutting and is a superior speaker for less money than the Quadratec unit, loving mine!!!
doshounds22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #230
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine yesterday with the Quadratec unit. Very nice to plug-n-play with no grinding, drilling or incorrect ohm load. The replacement unit comes with new foam material for a good seal and washers for the new sub. FWIW, my factory sub box had poly fill from the factory.

My factory sub was completely disintegrated...I had replaced my other speakers a while back - I had no idea the sub was in such bad shape. It's a big improvement.
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #231
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my stock sub with the kicker sub over the weekend. I'm pushing 200 watts to it. I'm getting a noise sounding like there's a small hole in the box that is leaking air. Anybody else have this problem? Its bugging the crap out of me.
Or anyone know how to fix it?
Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
FYI: For concerned parents out there. The wrangler has fairly good frontal, offset, and rollover crashworthiness ratings. IE: You walk away from a crash, and write posts on how you plan to re-build your rig.

just4effect.com sub box review
jwaller89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #232
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Stupid Question

If you are trying to use a 4ohm sub (SVC) couldnt you install a 4ohm resistor in parallel to reduce the total load to approx 2ohm? or would this mess with the frequency response?
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #233
02SurfBlueTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172heavy View Post
If you are trying to use a 4ohm sub (SVC) couldnt you install a 4ohm resistor in parallel to reduce the total load to approx 2ohm? or would this mess with the frequency response?
Technically you COULD, trick is you'll need a resister large enough to handle the power ouput of the Amplifier and I'm pretty sure they factory amp is about 65W max out.. but half of your current will be going thru the resistor so you really won't gain anything. Sure you'll draw more power will be pulled from the amp, but it will just be dissipated in heat via the resistor.

Basically you would complicate your setup, risk frying something and not gain any sound output.
02SurfBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #234
172heavy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SurfBlueTJ View Post
Technically you COULD, trick is you'll need a resister large enough to handle the power ouput of the Amplifier and I'm pretty sure they factory amp is about 65W max out.. but half of your current will be going thru the resistor so you really won't gain anything. Sure you'll draw more power will be pulled from the amp, but it will just be dissipated in heat via the resistor.

Basically you would complicate your setup, risk frying something and not gain any sound output.
Thanks, I was just curious, it seemed a little too easy to be worth while.
Unread 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #235
Michael_Ecks

Just did this with the blown out speaker in my 04 wrangler. I used the Audiopipe 6 inch DVC, purchased from a retailer on amazon, and it sounds great. It has a higher resistance ohm rating, but still sounds good with just an adjustment to the bass level to compensate. Had to do the dremel work as shown in the step by step pictures, but it was very easy with knowing what to expect from this posting.

I read a lot of these posts with people having bad sound and blown amps later. I think a lot of that comes from people being confused about the wiring. I don't remember the colors but my factory sub had 2 wires on each side, with one small connector (negative) and one larger connector (positive) for each voice coil. The setup is made for dvc, just twisting wires together without knowing which is pos and neg guessing on color alone is a recipe for blowing an amp or brand new woofer.

This is my first post here, thanks for this great post on this great site. Made this job a breeze.

Michael
Michael_Ecks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #236
Ecksel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What size are the three screws in the 8th pic? My center console is missing two of them. Im getting ready to swap my sub with the Quadratec speaker, want to make sure I have all the hardware to do it right.
Ecksel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #237
Baseplate
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my stock sub with the Kicker CVT652 CompVT Shallow 6.5" 2 Ohm sub today - piece of cake. The red and black factory cables worked on the corresponding terminals on the Kicker Sub.

Here are some photos

I reamed out the inner plastic reinforcing with a pair of tin snips and a dremel

Cut a notch for easier cable routing

Baseplate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #238
berryjr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this mod on my 2004 using the Kicker recommended here. When I tested it out in the garage, the sub seemed fine. Now that I have listened to it for a little while, it seems like the output is less than the factory sub. My factory had a red-black pair and a white-brown pair of wires. I connected the red and black and tied off the white-brown so they wouldn't touch or rattle. I recall reading that the 4 wires are merged in the wiring anyway.
Do I need to open it back up and use all 4 wires? In what combination?
If I Did do it right, I'd recommend going the $13 route instead of the $6x kicker option.
berryjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #239
Baseplate
2006 TJ Wrangler 

berryjr - are you running the 2Ohm Kicker or the 4 ohm? The 2 Ohm is the one to use.

Mine is connected on red and black only and is louder with less distortion than the stock prior to me blowing it....
Baseplate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #240
berryjr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseplate View Post
berryjr - are you running the 2Ohm Kicker or the 4 ohm? The 2 Ohm is the one to use.

Mine is connected on red and black only and is louder with less distortion than the stock prior to me blowing it....
Pardon my late reply. I subscribed to the thread so I would see updates but it didn't work...

Here is the item I ordered: Kicker CompVT 08CVT652 65-Inch 2-Ohm 165mm SVC Subwoofer

It could just be my recollection that is the problem. This 6.5" should sound like a DB Dragrace system right?

IDK, I was holding the console while checking the sound in the garage. I thought it sounded okay and I didn't really want to start shorting wires and risk blowing anything. Do you know - if I short/connect the wrong wires, is it going to blow the sub or amp instantly? Or do I have a little leyway to test different wiring configurations?
berryjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.