How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-13-2011, 04:54 AM   #211
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsurccapt View Post
Whats the difference between the Kicker 08CVT652 and the 10CVT652? I can't seem to Google a straight answer.

I am going to replace my blown factory sub next week when I decide on a sub.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Those appear to be the model years, 2008 and 2010.

odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #212
Mako1114
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I replaced the blown factory sub on my 05 TJ with the cheap Pyramid sub and the sound difference is obviously better but still not really noteworthy. I then replaced the factory head unit with a Sony and all four speakers with the Kicker factory replacements from Quadratec and it is much better now.

My question is whether the Kicker sub will sound much better than the Pyramid? I tried multiple wiring configurations with the Pyramid and it just is'nt very loud.

Cheers
Mako1114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #213
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1114 View Post
I replaced the blown factory sub on my 05 TJ with the cheap Pyramid sub and the sound difference is obviously better but still not really noteworthy. I then replaced the factory head unit with a Sony and all four speakers with the Kicker factory replacements from Quadratec and it is much better now.

My question is whether the Kicker sub will sound much better than the Pyramid? I tried multiple wiring configurations with the Pyramid and it just is'nt very loud.

Cheers
I usually steer people away from pyramid because their quality is dismal, they are a cheap foreign company that basically completely falsely advertises on all their products. The kicker might last the life of the vehicle. I bet the pyramid wont.

How did you wire it? Isnt the pyramid a 4 ohm sub?
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #214
webpower67
2005 YJ Wrangler 

thank you

Thank you for the help and pics for removing the center console and speaker-we took it out yesterday and had the speaker reconed and reinstalled it this afternoon- sounds good again to purchase a new one would of cost almost $300. and to have it reconed was $100. and we did all the other work ourselves
thank you again
webpower67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #215
jeepmojo01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1114 View Post

Cheers
I have gone through 2 Pyramids and decided to spend $75 on Ebay for the 6.5 kicker, it sounds much better than the Pyramid. don't waste you money on the pyramids...they are just not worth having to continually change out subs.
[SIZE="5"][/SIZE][COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Orange"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/acronym-list-472282/[/url][/COLOR]

[url]www.MilitaryJeepers.com[/url]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-error-code-list-861376/[/url]
jeepmojo01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #216
Brownsurccapt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced my blown stock sub today with the Pyramid, sounds....okayish. Once it goes out I will order the kicker. Was a piece of cake, thanks for the write up!
Brownsurccapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #217
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished installing a new sub in my center console and I'm happy with the results. I went with the 6.5" Bazooka 2 ohm DVC sub so I could wire it in parallel to take full advantage of the factory amp. I installed it and blew the factory amp with in 30 minutes or so. So I ordered a Kicker class d amp from parts express for $10 that pushes 100 watt rms @ 1ohm. Wired it all up and got everything installed. The sound output is similar to stock, maybe just a tad bit louder. But the difference can be heard when the radio is cranked. Very little distortion at louder volumes, cleaner tighter bass, and better/cleaner low end extension.

All in all, I ended up paying around $100 when it was all said and done. For that price I probably could have fabbed something up to go in the trunk that was a bit louder but since I will be moving to downtown Atlanta in a few months, it was important to me to have a sub that looked factory and wasn't easy to steal.

If anyone is interested in links to any or the parts or how I wired anything, let me know and I'll post up.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #218
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also, for anyone who is considering upgrading the factory sub and wouldn't mind losing some trunk space, this would be a nice upgrade for a great price.

http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Kic...-Amplifier.htm
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #219
Coinpurse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did this last Friday. Sounds fine, mine is hooked up to a Pioneer head unit. Also, had to use the red + black - wires. The write up was perfect, thanks!

[B]The muzzle end of a 45cal pretty much says "go away" in any language![/B]

[B]If you show up for a fair fight, you are not prepared![/B]
Coinpurse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #220
CsKWarEd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the Kicker sub, man it makes a world of difference coming from that paper factory sub. Great write up!
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #221
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

My factory sub was completely blown so it had been unplugged for at least a year. Did the Pyramid install today and it sounds worlds better.

For now I think I'm happy with the sound, sure sounds better than no sub at all. I didn't read all the posts about how poor of quality the Pyramid is so I'll see what I get out of it. For $19 shipped to my door it was worth the try and so far so good.

If it goes out, I'll give the Kicker a try.

Unread 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #222
doshounds22
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread! I was able to quickly replace my sub this past weekend. I used the Kicker 6.5 inch Sub and I am thrilled with the results!!
doshounds22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #223
wpark013
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshounds22 View Post
Awesome thread! I was able to quickly replace my sub this past weekend. I used the Kicker 6.5 inch Sub and I am thrilled with the results!!
I am going to do this. Do I want the 2 or 4 ohm?
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #224
davewjcook
Senior Brew-Engr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just replaced my blown stock sub with the Kicker 6.5" 2 ohm myself about a week ago. Used both sets of wires on the terminals... figured this is not really any different than the 2 circuits going to 2 separate coil connections on the stock speaker, and it was the most effective this way. And I read somewhere on here that the factory setup used a 2 ohm speaker with the 2 circuits operating at 1 ohm each from the amp. No issues yet, and sounds much better.
davewjcook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #225
doshounds22
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewjcook View Post
Just replaced my blown stock sub with the Kicker 6.5" 2 ohm myself about a week ago. Used both sets of wires on the terminals... figured this is not really any different than the 2 circuits going to 2 separate coil connections on the stock speaker, and it was the most effective this way. And I read somewhere on here that the factory setup used a 2 ohm speaker with the 2 circuits operating at 1 ohm each from the amp. No issues yet, and sounds much better.
Ditto!
doshounds22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.