How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #196
LogicWavelength
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I still am having trouble understanding what it looks like in there and I'm not about to open it up... The factory sub is in some sort of enclosure INSIDE the console? Is it possible to fit a small 4ohm amp in there too? I was thinking about the Kicker 4ohm and a small amp to run it.

Someone said that the stock "enclosure" would rattle and sound terrible. I used to have a ported box in my old car and I really miss the bass! I notice that stock subs just don't get low enough... they get into that "you'll get a headache after awhile" bass but not the true low wavelengths.

So, is it possible to fit an amp in there or is there room under the dash? I want to install the amp someplace where rain isn't a direct threat (like under the drivers seat).

Unread 11-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #197
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is an enclosure inside the console that houses the sub and the amp for the sub. If I were going to go larger I would just remove the amp from it's heatsink to get more room in the enclosure and go with an amp under the seat. I think that it would be fine against the rain unless you left the top down or something like that. As far as size of the sub, a seven inch would probably fit fine and maybe eight inch if were shallow enough. That new sub is four inches deep and as I said, I removed the cover off of the amp and taped over the screw holes in the heatsink that the amp attached to.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #198
LogicWavelength
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
There is an enclosure inside the console that houses the sub and the amp for the sub. If I were going to go larger I would just remove the amp from it's heatsink to get more room in the enclosure and go with an amp under the seat. I think that it would be fine against the rain unless you left the top down or something like that. As far as size of the sub, a seven inch would probably fit fine and maybe eight inch if were shallow enough. That new sub is four inches deep and as I said, I removed the cover off of the amp and taped over the screw holes in the heatsink that the amp attached to.
I was going to stick with the 6 1/2" sub for simplicity sake... so you can't use the stock enclosure and just remove the amp? There wouldn't be enough room to fit a small 100w RMS (or something like that) amp in there? And yea... the floor wouldn't work because it gets wet in my Jeep sometimes...
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #199
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is vary little room left in the enclosure. The factory amp is mounted on a triangular base-heat sink that is about 6"x5"x4" and is about an inch deep. With the cover it is another half inch and that is why I took the cover off to fit the Goldwood. I am going to pull it out sometime in the spring and look into fitting an 8 inch in there. I think that it should fit but unlike last time, I am going to measure everything before I order the speaker.
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #200
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

After three weeks and filling the bottom with polyfill, There is a noticable difference in the sound. Definitely worth doing. The other speakers are next.
Unread 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #201
tdcassick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I recently blew my factory sub, so I decided to go with this as a cheap replacement. I got the sub for 13.95 with one day shipping (amazon prime). The installation went well. At first I had some trouble taking off the harness for the wires to remove the console, but eventually figured it out.

I used wire cutters to break off pieces of the half moon shaped plastic. It wasn't the best craftsmanship, but I got it to work. To connect the sub I used Red+ Black-. These are the first two connections that I tested and they worked, so I didn't mess with the others.

OP, Great write up! I have bass again.

Thanks,
Tyler
tdcassick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #202
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone put a sub in their console that did not already have a factory one in there?
I do not have this option and I am wanting to install a Subwoofer in the console.
Any info or links?
johnxjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #203
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Somewhere else Jeep Forum is directions for making a sub enclosure out of MDF that wll fit under the center console.
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #204
warregl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
Somewhere else Jeep Forum is directions for making a sub enclosure out of MDF that wll fit under the center console.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8...inside-257123/

[I]'54 Willys - my first vehicle
'75 CJ5 - the quail hound
'77 CJ7 (V8) - lost to youthful enthusiasm
’95 YJ – some days I actually miss my 4 angry squirrels
’03 Rubicon – seems too nice to be a Jeep, until the pavement ends…[/I]
warregl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #205
Mako1114
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the detailed instructional post. I wired mine with red + / black - for best sound.

Cheers
Mako1114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #206
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The Goldwood is still sounding good.
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #207
tkatc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my sub the first time with the Pyramid sub listed in this thread. It sounded ok and I was content with leaving it at that. It also blew out in about 3-4 months. I thenk tried the Kicker listed in this thread and i must say it is a noticable improvement and built much better. I have been running it for 6 months or so and I am very happy with it.

I say do yourself a favor and buy the kicker sub from the start. yes the pyramid is cheap....but it isn't worth the aggravation when it blows and then you have to wait on another to arrive in the mail and then install AGAIN.

Kicker FTW!!
tkatc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #208
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
I replaced my sub the first time with the Pyramid sub listed in this thread. It sounded ok and I was content with leaving it at that. It also blew out in about 3-4 months. I thenk tried the Kicker listed in this thread and i must say it is a noticable improvement and built much better. I have been running it for 6 months or so and I am very happy with it.

I say do yourself a favor and buy the kicker sub from the start. yes the pyramid is cheap....but it isn't worth the aggravation when it blows and then you have to wait on another to arrive in the mail and then install AGAIN.

Kicker FTW!!
I agree. I try to tell people not to buy the pyramid since its a low quality flea market brand. And also, you are supporting a company with extremely deceptive marketing practices.
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #209
GentleBen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I worked!

Well I am just sitting here in shock. Just bought my first Jeep three weeks ago and like a lot of people didn't even know I had a sub until I took the center console out for a repaint. I really didn't hold out much hope of this working because I had no sound at all so I suspected the amp not the speaker. I thought for a $20.00 investment it would be worth a try anyway. While I was waiting on the speaker I pulled the new JVC head unit out and hooked up the power antenna wire I didn't bother with during the initial install. Hooked everything up today and now I have a sub woofer! I have no idea what the stock sub woofer sounded like but this sounds great. Gotta love the internet and thanks for this thread.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #210
Brownsurccapt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the difference between the Kicker 08CVT652 and the 10CVT652? I can't seem to Google a straight answer.

I am going to replace my blown factory sub next week when I decide on a sub.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Brownsurccapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.