How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #181
Fyfe13
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the Pics and Step By Step. Im gonna give it a go!

Fyfe13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #182
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went the Bazooka route...pretty disappionted. I'm going to end up going to walmart and picking up a cheapo 2ohm amp to power it more efficiently.

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #183
Toadslime
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've read this tread and am very interested in going this same route - I looked at my console, pulled it up a bit and then realized - there's no sub in there! Guessing that means this isn't an option for me or is it possibly hidden somewhere else?
Toadslime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #184
Paulis

Thanks to the OP and excellent knowledge posted by others. Just bought an 01 TJ with a blown stock amp. I'm going to follow the instructions tomorrow morning to disconnect it to get rid of the annoying buzz, then order the pyramid to get a replacement.
Paulis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #185
jbgood_12
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing Factory Subwoofer

First off, thanks to ArcherAce for great step by step instructions on how to replace a blown subwoofer. Anyone who has had this problem can relate to how frustrating it is to have to significantly degraded performance without the subwoofer.

I chose to use a subwoofer with slightly better performance, and found the Kicker 10CVT654 CompVT shallow-mount 6.5" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com. Decent price and great sound (about $100). Chose to go with a higher end sub as I'm hoping to upgrade the rest of the sound system in the future. Of note, although Crutchfield provides step by step instructions for installing anything you buy from them, they do not have instructions for the console subwoofer.

Couple of changes I had to add to ArcherAce's instructions.

1) There was a small clip holding the wiring harness in place which iI had to contend with after disconnecting the wiring husk. I ended up breaking the clip as it was easier and didn't seem to doing anything useful.

2) There are two screws inside the console (in the accessory tray) that holds the sub enclosure in place. I figured this out after removing the 3 external screws and still having trouble sliding out the enclosure.

3) Wiring - The Kicker Sub came with 2 terminals (black and red). After talking to a Crutchfield adviser they said the Jeep Speaker was reverse wired. They suggested attaching the Black and Grey wires to the Red sub terminal, and the Red and Brown wires to the Black sub terminal. This seemed to work just fine.

Sub sounds great, and thanks again ArcherAce for the great go-by.
jbgood_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #186
greenhead
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed Kicker 2 ohm CVT COMPVT65 sub. Hooked red (+) and black (-). Sound is MUCH BETTER than stock sub. Great upgrade and LIVIN' LOUDER. 69 dollars delivered Ebay.
greenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #187
amike_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did mine last night! Used the Pyramid WX65X, $7.99 plus shipping! Cant beat that, glad to hear some low sounds now instead of treble all the time.
amike_321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #188
RiverAnt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Relaced the blown factory subwoofer today. Thanks to an excellent write up by ArcherAce.
RiverAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #189
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered the Goldwood DVC from amazon. Parts express has a couple of good reviews by other TJ owners. $20 delivered from Amazon. Can't wait to get it in.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #190
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished the replacement of my factory sub with the Goldwood GW-406D. It is a dual voice coil sub and the only DVC that seems to be available. I had to remove the cover on the amp so that it would fit. I will post opinions as soon as I get it all bolted back together. Here are side by side pics of the factory sub and the new unit. Thanks again for the writeup.

Unread 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #191
tkatc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect write up. Helped me a lot. I replaced mine with the Pyramid sub suggested.....it worked great (or acceptably) for about 4 months. Then, it started to distort...almost like the wires were loose. I took it apart to find nothing obvious....nothing really out of place. Sometimes the sub didn't do anything....but if I pressed on the surface of the sub it would come to life. It sounded fine as long as I applied pressure to the surface....but as soon as I let go...it distorted greatly and would sometimes even go dormant again. Needless to say this sort of sound is QUITE annoying and I had to remove it.

I am now going to pull the trigger on the kicker replacement suggested in this thread.....we'll see.
tkatc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #192
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got it up and running. Had to pull it out because after I hooked it, I stumbled on to another topic and realized that I had wired it backwards. I always thought red was supposed to be positive and black negative. So the red and brown leads are neg and black and gray are positive. It sounds better than the stock sub so far.
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #193
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

After spending an hour with it this morning on my commute. The Bass seems to be fuller. I now have the bass control at even where with the factory sub was normally around -4. Well worth the $20.
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #194
xbrianx
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I see some people purchasing the Kicker 10CVT654 (4 Ohm) and some opting for the Kicker 10CVT652 (2 Ohm). What will work with a factory system? Does the $60 Kicker sub sound better than the $20 Pyramid?
xbrianx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #195
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you are talking strictly about the sound quality, they will probably be different but in such a low powered application, to most non-audiophiles it will be a non -issue.

Just think about this though, pyramid is a cheap, flea market company that uses deceptive marketing tactics such as completely fake and made up power numbers--- also their products are of cheap quality. Again in a low powered small application, this may not matter too much.

Kicker is an american company and I think they still make some of their products in the USA. Another thing to consider, is that if you ever want to sell it, the kicker will have some sort of resale value-- while virtually nobody will want a single pyramid 6.5" sub.

If the factory sub truly is a 1 ohm sub, the 2 ohm kicker would be a better bet since its closer to the impedance of the factory sub.

Just my 2 cents having experience with both brands over 10 years (most pyramid experiences have been replacing customers blown pyramid amps and subs!)
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.