How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #166
yipekya

Replaced my wife's sub this weekend. Awesome!

yipekya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #167
Kenshiroking
2001 TJ Wrangler 

These instructions are epic. Well done!
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #168
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed the Kicker sub today. Ended up using the black and red wires and taped the others. I also had to buy a spacer to get the sub to seat flat. Sounds really, really, good. So good in fact that I'll be picking up a set of 6 1/2's for the factory soundbar.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #169
cyberswat

Bazooka WF621.5DV

FWIW the the Bazooka forums has a thread on this as well and their techs seem to indicate you can wire the WF621.5DV voice coils in parallel to achieve the originals 1 ohm impedance ... this speaker starts at 2ohms so wiring it correctly will cut that down to 1ohm giving you the full use of the stock amp with a better quality speaker.

Quoting from their site: "Yes, the wires are for your left and right channels of the factory woofer. To connect them in parallel, you will match the positive of the left channel with the positive of the right channel, and the negative of the left channel with the negative of the right channel."

The speaker is a WF621.5DV - 6 inch 2 ohm replacement woofer and the thread on their site is OEM Replacement Woofers - Club Bazooka
cyberswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #170
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberswat View Post
FWIW the the Bazooka forums has a thread on this as well and their techs seem to indicate you can wire the WF621.5DV voice coils in parallel to achieve the originals 1 ohm impedance ... this speaker starts at 2ohms so wiring it correctly will cut that down to 1ohm giving you the full use of the stock amp with a better quality speaker.

Quoting from their site: "Yes, the wires are for your left and right channels of the factory woofer. To connect them in parallel, you will match the positive of the left channel with the positive of the right channel, and the negative of the left channel with the negative of the right channel."

The speaker is a WF621.5DV - 6 inch 2 ohm replacement woofer and the thread on their site is OEM Replacement Woofers - Club Bazooka
Problem with Bazzooka is:
  1. They won't give out their parameters for their replacement equipment. Most likely, it's going to be severely underpowered on the stock amp which will make it not as effective as well as the box is just completely wrong. More on that in a next. But why must they hide their parameters for these subs... It's not like their tubes are some huge secret... It's a long vented box... Tear one apart and you can calculate exact specifications for their product... That's one reason I'm not a big Bazooka fan...
  2. It's a tube-replacement sub, which is a considerably large vented box design. The stock tiny enclosure is a huge difference. These subs were designed with vented enclosures specifically in mind.
  3. It's 1.6" deeper than the stock sub resulting in clearance and cooling issues (though cooling may not be a problem since it's also possibly way underpowered)...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #171
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think its worth a shot. Underpowering has no ill effect on speakers (one of the most prevelant internet myths EVER). I agree it was intended for a large vented box, which is why they are so efficient, but I think it might work in a smaller sealed box too. I think it would be worth the time instead of running a 4 ohm sub and getting substantially less power from the amp. In any case you can return it perhaps! If I had a stock sub I would give it a shot.
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #172
munroejp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced my daughter's sub this weekend in 2001 Wrangler. Went with the Pyramid and used the black and red wires. Great write up, helped alot.
munroejp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #173
Unlimited05kyle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

problems wiring the pyramid subwoofer

This speaker sounds so much better then the stock one. Thx for the post

Last edited by Unlimited05kyle; 10-06-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Unlimited05kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #174
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

For those who are illiterate when it comes to wiring...what does that mean.."in parralel"? Is there a diagram somewhere?

Thanks

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #175
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

use a woofer wiring wizard...they will show you exactly what wires and terminals to connect.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #176
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
use a woofer wiring wizard...they will show you exactly what wires and terminals to connect.
Thanks for the link. I didn't see an option for 2 to 1 omhs.

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

Unread 10-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #177
cyberswat

I used the bazooka speaker I linked above and it works/sounds great. You do need a good dremel to cut out plastic to get the speaker to fit inside the box. As far as wiring goes, it was a dual channel speaker so has the same positive and negative terminals that came with the factory speaker. I just switched them from left to right until they sounded the best to me and then put everything back together. I've had this installed for about a week now and it sounds absolutely great.
cyberswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #178
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i was lazy and did it without the dremel. i just used some big diagonal cutters to snip the plastic away, quick and effective and nobody will ever see it anyways
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #179
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I used the bazooka speaker I linked above and it works/sounds great. You do need a good dremel to cut out plastic to get the speaker to fit inside the box. As far as wiring goes, it was a dual channel speaker so has the same positive and negative terminals that came with the factory speaker. I just switched them from left to right until they sounded the best to me and then put everything back together. I've had this installed for about a week now and it sounds absolutely great.
Is there a risk of blowing out the speaker if one accidentaly hooks up the wrong wires?

Unread 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #180
Sovereign

I use this forum often for my 03 Rubicon projects, but had to create a login to say thanks to ArcherAce for posting this detailed instruction. I opted for a 6.5" Kicker CVT65 (CompVT | KICKER) instead of the Pyramid. I paid $75 shipped, and for the increase in sound performance, I think the price difference is well worth it. Thanks again, ArcherAce.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.