How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #151
AZG23

thanks for the info..I was thinking dynamat...

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #152
rodnrobbin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subwoofer

Today I replaced my blown factory subwoofer with a KICKER 10CVT65 COMPVT 6.5"SUBWOOFER 2-OHM Subwoofer using information from resent postings. I used the red (+) and black (-) wires while taping off the brown and gray. I also had to cut way some plastic so as to make room for the new subwoofer. The system now sounds great! Thanks for everyone's helpful postings!
rodnrobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #153
D3f4ult
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone else has done it, but I added some cotton filler in there to get rid of the hollow thump the aftermarket sub gave.
D3f4ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #154
Roman68
2000 TJ Wrangler 

finally replaced the factory POS sub in the wife's Unlimited yesterday...thanks a million for this write up!! i had a few extra bolts to remove from the console to get the woofer enclosure to drop but regardless, this write was a godsend.

i ended up having to hook up the red and brown wires.....all other combos didnt work- black and gray, gray and black, red and black, brown and black, etc. finally got the right combination and sound was thumpin. to be honest, i think it (pyramid woofer) sounds pretty damn good. and the wife is happy, and that is always a bonus.

so here is a question- i want to add a sub to my 2000 TJ. i have an aftermarket stereo that does have the extra outputs for a sub, but i truly have no idea where to start as far as installing one myself. is this a crazy hard job or can i get through it? anyone have any experience installing a sub into a TJ without a previous sub being wired?

thanks in advance...

OIIIIIO
Roman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #155
rodnrobbin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As a measure of protection for my new subwoofer, I removed the console's 3 side screws and slid in a square piece of black fiberglass screen material. (This was slid in between the subwoofer box and the inner wall of console.) The material was then held firmly in place by the replaced screws. I purchased a roll of this screen from Walmart for a little over $5. It's not only functional but it looks factory.
rodnrobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #156
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the factory sub has a piece of grill cloth stretched over it. As long as it's not too tight or too thick it's good for keeping crumbs and coins from falling in the slats on the side.

As for the "cotton" polyfil can work wonders for small enclosures but there is a limit to how much can be put in.

For the guy with the 2000 TJ what kind of set-up do you want? Trunk filling? tailgate filling? double amps? single amp? If you just want a basic center console sub I recommend building a new enclosure and going with an 8" sub, a lot of decent powered amps come in small footprints and can be stashed in various places.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8...inside-257123/
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #157
RichardNoggin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

quick question from a newb.

ive been reading on removing the sub and it always say to disconnect the battery. my sub is blown and i just want it disconnected until i replace it. will this cause problems if i just disconnect the harnesses?
RichardNoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #158
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNoggin View Post
quick question from a newb.

ive been reading on removing the sub and it always say to disconnect the battery. my sub is blown and i just want it disconnected until i replace it. will this cause problems if i just disconnect the harnesses?
No; that would be fine.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #159
RichardNoggin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

awesome, thanks
Unread 09-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #160
Hollywood5

4 wires running to speaker

The subwoofer harness runs to some metal finned piece in the center counsel. Then, four wires (red, black, silver, grey) run back to the factory speaker. What is the metal finned piece and do I need to find a replacement sub with four connections? This forum seems to indicate I don't. But, I'd still like to undeerstand what is going on.
Hollywood5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #161
Hollywood5

Amp

I'm told the metal piece is the amp for the subwoofer. I really don't think I want to replace the Subwoofer if I'm going to get the same thumping noise due to the amp. If I connect up a new subwoofer to the same amp, will I get the same annoying thump?
Hollywood5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #162
RichardNoggin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

im thinkin the thump is due to the cheap paper cone of the stock sub. should sound better with a new one. i just ordered the pyramid so im hoping it sounds good. mine was blown when i bought it so i wont get to compare
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #163
RichardNoggin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

so, i got mine hooked up but it is barely getting power. any ideas? i tried playing with the wires switching them around, but no results. bad amp?
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #164
RichardNoggin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

nevermind. played with the wires some more. i had to use the red and black wire instead of the black and gray
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #165
RichardNoggin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

man what an improvement that pyramid is. so happy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.