How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #136
SCDolphin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Speakers

Is it common to use 1 ohm speakers in other cars. I thought most speakers were 4 o 8 ohms?

SCDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #137
SirGCal

As an OEM rule, there is no commonality... I've seen them use from 1/2-ohm all the way through 6, 12, and even 16 ohm speakers or speaker setups in different vehicles...

The 'standard' for aftermarket automotive is 4-ohms and home audio is 8-ohms. But then again that's just a starting point.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #138
TJe0454
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/d...-store-812520/
TJe0454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #139
JOliverGraham

Dear Original Poster,

I just finished the install. With one minor slip up with the sub I received. Red was +, Black was -.

Either way, the writeup with associated photos worked like a charm. Even down to the comment about "Enjoy your mediocre sub"

Thanks!
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #140
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOliverGraham View Post
Dear Original Poster,

I just finished the install. With one minor slip up with the sub I received. Red was +, Black was -.

Either way, the writeup with associated photos worked like a charm. Even down to the comment about "Enjoy your mediocre sub"

Thanks!
Glad i could help
OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Aerodynamics are overrated
ArcherAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #141
lactrain
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeppesen View Post
OK. Old post, but a question was never clearly answered. How do you get from 4 wires to 2?
My only guess, based on my research is if the OEM amp is Mono 1 Ohm and the OEM sub was a dual (two voice coils) 2 ohm and maybe it was bridged down so the sub would run at 1 ohm. My guess to why there are so many wiring combinations.

Mono/1-channel amplifiers that have two (2) sets of speaker outputs that are actually connected as one (1) inside the amplifier. What this means is that the 2 sets of different speaker outputs on the outside of the mono amplifier are actually only acting as one inside the amplifier (If you can understand, I'm sure you can!).

~ Diagram ~

Just a guess.

I havent quite did the install yet still figuring out what to buy .... So far it looks like

Polk Audio DB461 - Dash
Polk Audio DB521 - Sound Bar

The reason im going with the Polks is
a. The specs match the OEM
b. They are certified for marine use
c. They seem to have good reviews

And all signs are pointing to the .....

Kicker - 10CVT652

.....Basically a 2010 version of the 2 Ohm 6.5 low profile Sub.

USAJEEPOWNERS.com

Last edited by lactrain; 08-18-2010 at 09:27 AM..
lactrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #142
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactrain View Post
My only guess, based on my research is if the OEM amp is Mono 1 Ohm and the OEM sub was a dual (two voice coils) 2 ohm and maybe it was bridged down so the sub would run at 1 ohm. My guess to why there are so many wiring combinations.

Mono/1-channel amplifiers that have two (2) sets of speaker outputs that are actually connected as one (1) inside the amplifier. What this means is that the 2 sets of different speaker outputs on the outside of the mono amplifier are actually only acting as one inside the amplifier (If you can understand, I'm sure you can!).

~ Diagram ~

Just a guess.

I havent quite did the install yet still figuring out what to buy .... So far it looks like

Polk Audio DB461 - Dash
Polk Audio DB521 - Sound Bar

The reason im going with the Polks is
a. The specs match the OEM
b. They are certified for marine use
c. They seem to have good reviews

And all signs are pointing to the .....

Kicker - 10CVT652

.....Basically a 2010 version of the 2 Ohm 6.5 low profile Sub.
NONO!! For a TJ, get two pair of DB521's. Do NOT put 4x6's back in the dash...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #143
lactrain
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where can I purchase the adapter????? And will there be any modifications to the dash to fit these 51/4" speakers?

USAJEEPOWNERS.com
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #144
SirGCal

In 2005, no mods necessary. The adapter can be had at any number of places. But I prefer to make my own. There's templates floating around.

Quote:
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #145
lactrain
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I found them ..... Car-Speaker-Adapters.com

USAJEEPOWNERS.com
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #146
lactrain
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I found another sub similiar in specs to the oem just not sure if it will fit in the center console. Hoping you all with experience can take a look at the size and let me know if you all think i can mod it in.

Elemental Designs
Model Name : e3.6 Subwoofer
Available Voice Coils : Dual 2
Power Handling : 50/200 WRms

USAJEEPOWNERS.com
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #147
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've got 4" in my dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
NONO!! For a TJ, get two pair of DB521's. Do NOT put 4x6's back in the dash...
Sir G, great info on these posts, Thanks!

I just got my 03 rubicon about a month ago and am slowly cracking it open to see what was changed. The speakers have all sounded "small". Pulled off my front panels after reading this post and found 4" round alpines installed. Does the adapter you mention allow for 5 1/4 speakers in this front area?

Also, just cruious as I'm not an audio expert by any means...why no 4 X 6? Is 5 1/4 just a better speaker?

Thanks,
TC
tchaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #148
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaap View Post
Sir G, great info on these posts, Thanks!

I just got my 03 rubicon about a month ago and am slowly cracking it open to see what was changed. The speakers have all sounded "small". Pulled off my front panels after reading this post and found 4" round alpines installed. Does the adapter you mention allow for 5 1/4 speakers in this front area?

Also, just cruious as I'm not an audio expert by any means...why no 4 X 6? Is 5 1/4 just a better speaker?

Thanks,
TC

Yes, and yes... Simply put, they fit. And the 5.25" size is a sweet spot for full-range speakers for powerful yet clean sound. You'll get a warmer, fuller sound than a 4x6 or 4" plate speaker.

Quote:
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #149
AZG23

SirGCal.......you have mentioned beefing up the stock plastic box...what would you recommend to do that? I will be adding polyfil...but wondered what else could be done

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #150
SirGCal

Lining it with a layer of fiberglass can work wonders. Or at least some sound-material. (Dynamat). The goal is to make it more rigid and reduce pinging. The poor-man's route would be at least rubberized undercoating on the inside of the box. It's not great but better than nothing and will help reduce the pinging of the plastic box.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.