How to Prep the jeep's eletrical sys for 400watt light bar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Prep the jeep's eletrical sys for 400watt light bar?

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Godchaser490

How to Prep the jeep's eletrical sys for 400watt light bar?

Well I'm building a light bar and I am worried about any side effects of pulling so much juice from the alternator. Right now after the bar is installed I will have:

HO stock lights from GE
2- 55w cheepo baja's
4- 100w cheepo rally's

a quick run through the math and that's an extra 510watts over stock for night wheeling.

What I am going to do is upgrade the alternator and battery cables to 2 guage but is there anything else? Will this kill the life of my alternator?

Military Wheelers... Clicky!
[url]http://warrioroffroad.org/forums/index.php[/url]
Godchaser490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading the battery and alternator cables is a good idea, but it is essential to upgrade the wiring to the lightbar. I personally would run a single 4-gauge cable to the lightbar, then mount a seperate fuse panel (Buss makes one for ATO fuses available at most Auto Parts places) and a single relay for each pair of lights, in a small box ON THE LIGHTBAR. All the heavy wiring is thus up on the bar. Run a single small 4-conductor cable down to some switches to pull the relays, use one wire as a common ground and the other three to operate the relays.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep
Upgrading the battery and alternator cables is a good idea, but it is essential to upgrade the wiring to the lightbar. I personally would run a single 4-gauge cable to the lightbar, then mount a seperate fuse panel (Buss makes one for ATO fuses available at most Auto Parts places) and a single relay for each pair of lights, in a small box ON THE LIGHTBAR. All the heavy wiring is thus up on the bar. Run a single small 4-conductor cable down to some switches to pull the relays, use one wire as a common ground and the other three to operate the relays.
Little overkill there Kaiser? 4 AWG for 400W lights? Your only talking (including wased power and all) about 60A total in the worst conditions (@ 34A in ideal conditions)... 10 AWG would be fine for the short distance involved even for all four. I wouldn't put the relays up on the light bar either. That runs an always hot lead where it doesn't need to be. I'd put the relays somewhere around the battery and run a pair of 12 AWG or 10 AWG wire up to the lights.

For just those lights, you probably won't have to do an alternator upgrade, but if you add much more (and use it at the same time) you will probably need one. But I would definatly get a good deep cycle battery.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.