How many watts and what kind is the stereo in a Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How many watts and what kind is the stereo in a Jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

How many watts and what kind is the stereo in a Jeep?

Just a question guys, what type stereo is in my '98 TJ and how many watts is it? Its the cassette/AM/FM one if that helps. All I know is it sucks and I need something that will do a little better. (Plus speakers of course)

CoriolisSTORM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
Just a question guys, what type stereo is in my '98 TJ and how many watts is it? Its the cassette/AM/FM one if that helps. All I know is it sucks and I need something that will do a little better. (Plus speakers of course)
Not sure on the wattage but it is a Delphi headunit.
opiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Do you have a factory console subwoofer or infinity basslink? If not then add a subwoofer (they're not too loud) and replace the stock speakers with the best you can afford. Upgrade the front dash with 5.25" ones (you'll need to buy/make adaptor plates). Then if you don't like the sound replace the HU.

My stock 7 speaker system doesn't sound all that great with either tops on but I think DC really tuned it to topless/doorless because it sounds GREAT with the top and doors off. I replaced just the speakers in my 96 XJ to a set of infinity and a set of polk audio and it made a world of difference.
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
2k3r1

I dont undetrstand why you need to know the wattage but I would assume its something like 11 watts RMS at max volume??? but the clarity of the internal amp at that volume is horrible.
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
SirGCal

I measured the power from my extremely crappy and likely malfunctioning 2k CD player before it died and it gave out a mind-crushing 2W of usable power. I believe it to be on the horribly low end of the spectrum and I'm assuming most non-amped factory units operate at a good 7-12W range or so. (this would not include power to the factory subs.) Most good aftermarket head unis will be more in the range of 15-20W of usable power. (per channel into standard 4-ohm speakers)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.