how many amps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > how many amps?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #1
razor

how many amps?

Hi,
I own a 2001 wrangler. It came stock with the sub-woofer built into the console.

I replaced the head unit and the 4 main speakers and now want to add some amps or maybe an amp. The head unit has 2 preamps (1 for the speakers and 1 for the sub). My question is, should I buy 2 separate amps, (1 for the speakers, 1 for the sub), or should I buy one of those amps that has the 4 channels plus one channel for the sub?

My main concern about the amp that does it all is that it doesn't plug into the sub preamp, only the speaker preamp.

I have never had an amped system before. Will the battery run down pretty quick if you are listening to the music when the jeeps not running?

The jeeps got a hide-a-trunk, the amps will go back there, Will it get to hot for 2 amps back there?

Thanks for all the help

razor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:11 PM   #2
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would go with 2 amps...make sure your speaker will handle the power of the amp you get. How much you want to spend may also change whether you get 1 amp or 2 amps.
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:10 PM   #3
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Re: how many amps?

Quote:
Originally posted by razor
Hi,
My main concern about the amp that does it all is that it doesn't plug into the sub preamp, only the speaker preamp.

I have never had an amped system before. Will the battery run down pretty quick if you are listening to the music when the jeeps not running?

The jeeps got a hide-a-trunk, the amps will go back there, Will it get to hot for 2 amps back there?
I would do as suggested and get two 2 chan. amps, 1 amp for the front/rear speakers and bridge the other for the sub. This will make controling the sound quality much easier, especially if you have a sub pre-out you more than likely have sub woofer controls on the deck unit.

If you drawing alot of amperage (high wattage system) yes your battery will run down quickly, you can offset this with a capacitor or two and a good battery (I like Optima's).

Ensure that the amps have either internal fans, this will alleviate any over heating problems. I doubt you will have a problem in the hide a trunk, unless you seal it with dynomat or something.
I have a sub in mine (which is preamped) never had a single problem with overheating.

Good Luck!

KnightFire
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2002, 07:46 AM   #4
eltj

On a small system like that your better off with just one amp. You will have less wirring and still have all the control you would with two. TJ's dont have the best sound quality and all that you would get out of two amps would be slightly better sound becuase the subs are not sharring the same power supply as the components. You wouldn't realy be able to hear the differance in that jeep. It will cost you less and will be easier to install a good 4ch. If you have a good battery in your jeep than it will usually take a few hours to run down the battery from a system this size. If you plan on running it while the cars off alot than get a optima and you problem is solved.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.