How hard is it to install a sub/ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How hard is it to install a sub/

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
EJames1226
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How hard is it to install a sub/

If i were to buy a sub, how hard would it be for me to install it on my own?
If i have instructions on how to do it, i can usually do it, but im a complete noob to electrical. I replaced the battery and air filter on my own though, if that counts.

Oh, i can also hook up my home stereo.

Should i try it or just let circuit city or somewhere do it?

EJames1226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
method84

save the money youd spend on having some high school dropout do it at best buy or circuit city and do it yourself. Its really not all that bad...and if you buy your stuff through crutchfield they give detailed insturctions on what to do...But you really dont need them...All you really have to do it run a power wire from your battery all the way to your amp location and tuck it away as you go...Then you have to run a turn-on lead from the back of your headunit all the way to the amp location. Then while you are in the back of the head unit you have to run two RCA patch cables from the pre-outs on your headunit all the way back to the amp but tucked away on the seperate side of the vehicle...After thats done you have to run a ground wire from your amp to a good chasis ground on your jeep...I choose the seat brackets...After you have those wires ran, turn on your jeep and your amp should turn on when the head unit is on (turn-on lead). Now that the amps hooked up all you have to do is run two wires from your sub to the terminal cup, screw the sub to the box, run speaker wire from the terminal cup to the amp and walla you are all hooked up...I sounds like a lot but its a real easy thing to do...If you want more detailed insturctions and pictures I think crutchfield has them on their website under tech or something (http://www.crutchfield.com).....good luck
method84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Very true, if you consider it a mod..... it is close to the easiest you will ever do on your jeep!
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
EJames1226
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok cool, im gonna research it alot more.

Heres a question. Should i build a speaker box for it? or should i just buy one off the net, like ebay or something?

P.S. Awesome avi method84

Edit: Wich one of these under the 150 price range would be good for rock/metal, and easy to install, if it matters? Do you need to know what kind of cd player i have installed?
EJames1226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Word of advice if you want.. but run positive and negative in fused links for your head unit and your amp to the battery.. From everything I have been reading about jeeps, and my past expereince with putting stereos in cars, you will be happy you did this in the long run.
zolon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.