How Do I stop CD player from skipping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How Do I stop CD player from skipping

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
brennanmatherne
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How Do I stop CD player from skipping

I am having skipping problems with my CD player in my 2002 Wrangler.

Is there any way to provide more stability to avoid skipping by hitting bumps? There are many bumps in our substandard Louisiana roads!

Also, I experience skipping because my 4x6's are pumping enough bass to make CD player skip. How do I absorb the rattling, without losing bass?

brennanmatherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
SirGCal

Stop hitting the bumps...

As far as the 4x6's having enough bass to do it.. I don't by that one... There's something else going on there. I havn't even had comp cars lately with enough pressure to cause a skip in modern cd players, even without skip prevention.

My Alpine will skip if I hit a bump at speed every time. The only choice is to slow down or turn the CD off. Infact many CD players today will do that. Some still use a very large buffer circuit but many do not anymore and a good hit will cause a skip. These buffers aren't needed cause the normal vehicle vibrations will not cause skips like they used to, only impact hits. (which could also hurt the laser head if your unlucky enough...)

If your CD player is so overly sensative that it is skipping while sitting still and just turning up the volume; the player itself is faulty or improperly wired. (Some people with high-current units experience power clipping when they are not wired directly to the battery which can resemble CD skipping.)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
bluejeepguy

i've got 4x6's and a 10" basslink and i dont get any skipping at all...sounds like a problem with your deck. the 4x6's dont really put out any bass at all for me though...
[CENTER]Alpine deck[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Infinity Basslink 10" Sub[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Pioneer 4x6's and 5.25's[/CENTER]
[CENTER]COMING SOON: 2" Rubicon Express BB[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club Member # 114[/COLOR][/CENTER]
bluejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

I got an ipod and mounted in the cab. Then ran the wires behind the dash into the pre-ins on the back of my deck. Never skipped once.
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Bill W

I agree with SirG, either your deck is clipping and you think it is skipping or you have a REALLY bad install and the deck is flopping around loose.
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
bluejeepguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtJeep
I got an ipod and mounted in the cab. Then ran the wires behind the dash into the pre-ins on the back of my deck. Never skipped once.
Where did you mount your ipod? i was looking into this for my tj, i've got it all working but as of now my ipod just sits in my lap or the cupholder. i think a mount would be a lot easier and safer.
[CENTER]Alpine deck[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Infinity Basslink 10" Sub[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Pioneer 4x6's and 5.25's[/CENTER]
[CENTER]COMING SOON: 2" Rubicon Express BB[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club Member # 114[/COLOR][/CENTER]
bluejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

It isnt a mount per-se. I just took some velcro strip from walgreens, put it on the iPod and on the center console right next to the shifter. I can run down and take a pic and pm it to you if you like. Remember I have an XJ
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
Unread 03-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

Check this out from apple too. My borther has it and loves it.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.1.2.1.0.3

here is a link to my console setup

http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...ge=dash7wd.jpg
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
Unread 03-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
brennanmatherne
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W
I agree with SirG, either your deck is clipping and you think it is skipping or you have a REALLY bad install and the deck is flopping around loose.
You're probably right on the install. I admit I don't know much about installing car stereos, but my dad did the install. He removed the factory CD player from my 2002 Jeep Wrangler to install the JVC El Kameleon.

HE removed the old stereo, but also removed this piece of metal that was sorta in the shape of a V. It attatched at the point of the V, to the back of the factory stereo and at the top two points of the V, it attached somewhere to the dash/body. I am guessing this "stabilized" the radio. But he said there was no where to connect this "V" bracket thing to the Kameleon. I guess it is just hanging there connected to the front bracket.

Is this maybe my whole problem? and how do i solve?
brennanmatherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
SirGCal

you can use the anti-theft bracket that your referring to on aftermarket radios. The new radio should have come with a bolt to put into the back of it. The catch is the aftermarket hole probably won't line up exactly with the factory one so you'll have to 'persuade' the bracket a little.

It's easiest to set the bracket in place, but not bolt it down, so that you can move it around, take out the climate controls to get easier access to the back of the radio, connect the bracket to the back of the radio and secure it; then attach the bracket to the vehicle. This might have to be repeated many times until you get the bracket bent the way you need it for proper depth and alignment. Another option (probably easier) is to bend the bracket back enough to clear the radio only. Then attack the bendable attachment metal that comes with most radios to the bracket using a bolt and washers and nyloc from a hardware store, then attach the other end to the correct horozontal position for the radio. Some people prefer one method over the other. Either one works. Some people don't run that rear bracket but I do recommend using it.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
joedirt88

Yup....get a mp3 player and hook it up
joedirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #12
kcrunchone

in my case in the past week i went out and picked up a jvc in dash dvd mp3 all bells and whistles... but because of the dash havingt he over head lip and the 6 inch screen comes out and goes up i had to return it..... after taking it back i went in my old jeep and pulled out the sony cassete...i have a mp3 player that i keep in the arm rest and i just play my stuff from there and no bumps skips or anything.....
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.