How To Add A 3.5mm (Headphone Jack) Auxillary Audio Input to Your Stock Stereo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Add A 3.5mm (Headphone Jack) Auxillary Audio Input to Your Stock Stereo

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How To Add A 3.5mm (Headphone Jack) Auxillary Audio Input to Your Stock Stereo

Yes... we are all aware that it is easier (and possibly cheaper) to buy an aftermarket head unit. Personally, I don't like the look of them and my obsessive side takes over if the LED colors don't match my gauges. Also, anything that keeps me from drawing attention to the inside of my soft top is a plus. Keeping my stock stereo accomplishes this. Now that I have that out of the way... to the mod!

To start, this mod will ONLY work if you have a stock head unit that has the MODE and DISC^ / DISCv buttons and NO CD Changer. If you have the cd changer, you have to decide between it and the 3.5mm (headphone jack) auxillary input.

Here are the materials you need:
1)** A Blitzsafe Auxillary input for your model year. There are a few different Blitzsafe models for different inputs including iPhone charger inputs.
I got this one from a major online retailer for my '03 TJ:* http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/chrysle...l/prod_48.html (that online retailer has a model list for your reference)

2)** RCA to 3.5mm audio cable.
Mine is the Radioshack brand

3)** A female 3.5mm to female 3.5mm coupler

4)** Rubber Grommet with an inside diameter close to the outside diameter of your coupler.
This will*be the bezel around your aux input, so if you care about looks at the end, choose wisely. I bought a package of Tyco Electronics brand from my local brick and mortar and used a 3/8" inside diameter (1/2" outside diameter) grommet. Test to make sure the grommet fits around your coupler. You don't want it to be too loose. For those that don't know, the outside diameter is the thinnest diameter measured from the outside.

Tools:
1)** Flat-head screwdriver or something to use as a gentle pry bar

2)** Phillips-head screwdriver

3)** Short ratchet (~6") with a 10mm ratchet

4)** Drill with one bit equal to your gromment's outside diameter, one slightly smaller than that, and one smaller than that.
I used 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2".

5) Electrical tape

The Install:
1) Prep the Blitzsafe RCA input cables.
Connect your 3.5mm to RCA cable to the RCA cables on the blitzsafe. Wrap these connections with electrical tape.

2) Remove the dash vent trim by windshield.
Pop it up using the flat head screwdriver. There are 4 clips. Be gentle.

3) Remove the plastic panel that covers the stereo and HVAC controls
Two (long) phillips-head screws are beneath the trim from step 2. Remove them. Remove the glove box. There are clips holding in the rest of the panel in. I pulled firmly on the bottom right corner near the glove box. Get a good look at where you can route your cables to install your aux input. I would keep in mind that you probably don't want your electrical tape near that heat sink on the left of the stereo.

4)**Remove the stereo and HVAC controls.
Remove the four (short) phillips-head screws from around the stereo. Remove the (long) screws from around the HVAC controls. Mine had two - top right and bottom left. Inside the glove box opening is the antenna cable with a connection to the stereo. Separate that connection. Now comes the most annoying part. Put your hand into the glove box and move it up behind the stereo. Feel for a 10mm nut. Hold on to that mental map. Get your shorty ratchet and remove that nut. Don't drop it. Pull out the HVAC controls, Pull out the stereo.

5) Connect the Blitzsafe.
To the right of the connected wire harness (top down view) is a smaller connection for the blitzsafe harness. If you don't have this opening, you don't have the correct stereo or have your cd changer connected. Before you install the blitzsafe harness, route your cables behind the stereo and the bracket behind the stereo to approximately where you want to/can install the input. Connect the blitzsafe. Make sure it is tight. Consider taping it in place. **You can test your input now. Turn on your stereo and press the MODE button. Your stereo will read Disc 1 Track 1 or Disc 99 Track 99.**

6) Reinstall the stereo and HVAC.
Consider looping and taping your excess input cables. **If you don't want to drill your cover, you can just find a way to route your 3.5mm cable out from behind your stereo. You might be able to get it to the glove box**

7) Modify your cover.
With your open 3.5mm cable sitting where you want your input (relative to the stereo and HVAC), hold up your cover. Eyeball or measure where you want your input and place a dot on your cover. Check it. Check it another time. Doubt yourself, commit. Now take your drill with the smallest bit you have decided to use and drill a pilot hole starting from the front. Don't push too hard, just let the drill work. Move up in size until you reach the diameter of the outside of your grommet. Install your grommet. When it is flush to the hole and front (a credit card and toothpick can help), take your 3.5mm female to 3.5mm female coupler and slowly but firmly push it through the grommet from the back of the cover. It should be a pretty close fit. I was going to use epoxy or gorilla glue, but mine fit secure enough it was not necessary.

102047-1.jpg

102050-1.jpg

8) Reinstall your cover
Connect the inside of your coupler to the male 3.5mm input coming from the blitzsafe. I recommend against taping this connection so that when you want to remove your cover, you don't need to undo any tape.

102051-2.jpg

9) Reconnect your antenna. Replace your glove box.

10) Enjoy!

102052-1.jpg

I didn't get any photos of steps 1 through 4, but there are youtube videos and posts in this forum everywhere.

If you lose sound while using your new aux input, you can feel your way back to that harness from your glove box. As long as the harness is still in place, you can push it back in more securely.

Unread 01-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thank you.

My TJ Build Thread...
bclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm very interested in it, but I need pics of how you integrated this into the harness. The headphone jack installed onto the panel is a no brainer, anyone can do that. I'm not so good with wiring though, so can you post some photos of that?? The description was VERY vague.

EDIT: Whoa! wait, I just saw the link you put for the adapter. $100!! Nevermind, I'll just spend a little more and get a new stereo.
Unread 01-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #4
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnhunter View Post
I'm very interested in it, but I need pics of how you integrated this into the harness. The headphone jack installed onto the panel is a no brainer, anyone can do that. I'm not so good with wiring though, so can you post some photos of that?? The description was VERY vague.

EDIT: Whoa! wait, I just saw the link you put for the adapter. $100!! Nevermind, I'll just spend a little more and get a new stereo.
The wiring harness is plug and play. The blizsafe uses the opening to the left of the of the one your speaker wiring harness goes into in the photo I'll attached below. Just plug it in.
The blitzsafe is significantly cheaper from online retailers. That site is the manufacturers MSRP... also see the first paragraph.

Last edited by Badonkadonkey; 01-31-2014 at 04:33 AM..
Badonkadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

736.jpg
From http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...1220/SFV/30046

Last edited by Badonkadonkey; 01-31-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Badonkadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
GSP
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work,,,, I installed this blue tooth/USB/Ipod, hands free, Pioneer, with dash adapter plate and wiring harness for under $100

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X260...H-X2600UI.html
GSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP View Post
Nice work,,,, I installed this blue tooth/USB/Ipod, hands free, Pioneer, with dash adapter plate and wiring harness for under $100

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X260...H-X2600UI.html
Thanks. Very cool. I may install a Bluetooth adapter on a splitter before the coupler and power it from the stereo harness so it's always on with the stereo.
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool, been wanting to do this for a while. Nice writeup.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
Very cool, been wanting to do this for a while. Nice writeup.
Thanks!
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
jeeprubi2005
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice wright up now just have to find that adaptor for cheap and ill be in business
jeeprubi2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprubi2005 View Post
Nice wright up now just have to find that adaptor for cheap and ill be in business
Thanks! Amazon had them cheaper than the manufacturer. I had the rest of the parts laying around, but it looks like you could pick them up for a few bucks.
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered the last available blitzsafe module from Amazon. $74 shipped.

My TJ Build Thread...
bclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark11 View Post
Just ordered the last available blitzsafe module from Amazon. $74 shipped.
Well done. Good luck!
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I must have bought the second to the last one from amazon lol.

My question is how long is this part?

Thanks.
hokahay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Badonkadonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokahay View Post
I must have bought the second to the last one from amazon lol.

My question is how long is this part?

Thanks.
Good question. The length depends on where you want to install the jack.

There is room to curl up ~1' length on top of the HVAC controls, more than that and you can probably fit the excess behind the glovebox if you have it follow the antenna cable.

The right way is to remove the front cover and measure how you are able to route your cable. Assume the blitzsafe only gives you ~5" total to alleviate any stress that could be placed on the cable connections to the blitzsafe box. I skipped this step (lazy) and had to curl and tape up the excess.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.