hmmmmmmm....could it work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > hmmmmmmm....could it work

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

hmmmmmmm....could it work

I have found that in my jeep the bass really doesnt hit hard with the top off. As you may have read in a previous post i helped a friend build a box for 2 downfiring 12's. I blew my Audiobahns today trying to match his so now im in the lurch for bass. His hits harder than mine did with the top on and he had his bass turned down. What im wondering about is if i put 2 12's back in facing forward and raise the box with some makeshift legs and put 2 12's downfiring. I have reworked the box to allow 2 cu.ft per sub. I would have 2 12's sharing an enclosure. Would this work? BTW the box is sealed currently, would a port allow this to work?

Unread 10-01-2001, 07:43 PM   #2
RFWrangler

Well you could do what I did in my YJ. Rip your backseat out and buils a new one. Make this your sub box with the 12's firing at the floor. Mine SLAMS no matter what way im runnin, be it topless and doorless or soft top up. let me tell ya though, when you put the hardtop back on for winter, Its gonna slam twice as hard because all the bass waves are held in the vehicle. The nice thing about downfiring your subs is that even runnin topless, they are flexing directly at the floor, so it will hit regardless. If ya want I can get you the specs for my box and maybe some pictures in a week or so.
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2001, 03:42 AM   #3
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A good way to keep the sound in when the top is off is get a tonneau cover. It actually works like a big vented box. I have 2 12's 4.5 cu ft ported box (tuned to 35hz) and 400watts RMS going to each sub. I removed the backseat and pointed the speakers forward. I am hitting around 140db w/ softtop. I've never tried downfiring, I tought about once. Let me know how it turns out. I'd like to do it cuz I already had one sub torn from something poking it.
Unread 10-02-2001, 01:42 PM   #4
Willis91YJ

Hey bud,
If you are asking if you should have 4 12's and 2 sharing the same airspace the answer is no... I would try facing two at the floor and leave it at two. What audiobahns were you running, how did you have them wired and to what amp?
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2001, 02:44 PM   #5
mytjnamedrex

RFwranlger- pics would be great. Willys i blew the audiobahns yesterday
Unread 10-02-2001, 05:21 PM   #6
RFWrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by mytjnamedrex:
RFwranlger- pics would be great. Willys i blew the audiobahns yesterday
Alright, I'll see what I can do. I have money comin in in a few days so I can get a camera, and 4 day weekend this week so I'll get em up ASAP for ya.
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Unread 10-03-2001, 02:34 PM   #7
mytjnamedrex

thanx man and to willys im sorry i didnt tell specs but i know they were 500wattrms and 1000 watt max each Im not sure model number.
Unread 10-03-2001, 04:00 PM   #8
Willis91YJ

Can you send them out and get them repaired? The numbers that were important to me is number of voice coils and what ohm each coil is? Also I wanted to know what ohm stable your amp is. What amp are you running anyway? Power very rarely (unless were talking serious juice!) blows speaks, it's generally distortion is what does it to ya!!!
Let me know whatcha got and I'll help you as best I can.
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Unread 10-03-2001, 06:39 PM   #9
mytjnamedrex

i replied to that private message but i believe the problem is because i got alot of water on em the day b4 while mudding. The subs are toast but my friend bought em off me for 100 and i think hes gonna try to get em on warranty. I got 2 JL12w0's and am plannin to get 2 more and build a custom box for 4 JL 12's. Its gonna be sweet . Please dont get the wrong idea bought me...i just like songs witha lot of bass and road noise and no top make power a necessity.
Unread 10-03-2001, 08:40 PM   #10
Willis91YJ

What amp are you going to run?
Unread 10-05-2001, 02:36 PM   #11
mytjnamedrex

not sure yet but i know itll be one w/ alot of juice
Unread 10-10-2001, 02:16 PM   #12
RFWrangler

Just took the film to be developed. Ill have those pics up for ya on Friday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.