HID flickering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > HID flickering

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

HID flickering

Anyone used an HID kit the plugs right it without running wires to battery? i got kit and lights start flickering only when jeep is on. i am not electrician so any help would be ggrrreat

herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your ballasts weren't getting enough juice. Get a harness for those HIDs and save yourself the headache.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wire them with a relay, like so:

I don't trust stock wiring for anything but stock headlights.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The DDM HID kit only uses the stock harness as a trigger, everything else is run through the battery. I have them installed in some E-codes and it's literally like day and night vs my stock lights. Aiming them is the only difficult part. Took a few tries to get the drivers side right.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
Wire them with a relay, like so:

I don't trust stock wiring for anything but stock headlights.
As much as I hate it. I actually have to agree with xpress here. I would run each light on its own relay since wiring them in series will give the second light less power and could make it dimmer than the first.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Or use a dual 87 relay.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Or use a dual 87 relay.
Won't work that way. You'll need to switch the main power regardless if you only use one relay for high and low beams. And you don't want to switch the main power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
As much as I hate it. I actually have to agree with xpress here. I would run each light on its own relay since wiring them in series will give the second light less power and could make it dimmer than the first.
The diagram Xpress posted has the headlights in parallel off of the single relay.

Use one SPST relay as your "ON/Off" relay, and use a SPDT 87/87a as your high/low relay. Simplest and most straight-forward way of doing it. If you want to get into dual 87 KC relays, you'll still need the first two switching relays as well. Apparently the new HID ballasts don't pull so many amps so running one relay for both lights is doable.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26
Or use a dual 87 relay.
Yeah there's that too lol

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can use one dual 87 relay for high and one dual 87 relay for low to avoid running them in series and starving the downstream light. Utilize the factory wiring to trigger the high and low relays
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
You can use one dual 87 relay for high and one dual 87 relay for low to avoid running them in series and starving the downstream light. Utilize the factory wiring to trigger the high and low relays
They're not running in series, they're running in parallel. Nothing's being starved in the diagram above.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo

They're not running in series, they're running in parallel. Nothing's being starved in the diagram above.
That diagram looks to me as being wired in series. Eithier way I would do a relay for each light max power available for them no matter what and if one fails you don't lose bothights. Redundancy is a good thing when it comes to safety equipment. I will admit I am not the best at reading wiring diagrams but I am learning. If I read it wrong please explain where I went wrong so I will know for next time

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283

This is what I was referring to.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have my headlights rewired with relays. I utilize the factory headlights wiring for high and low to energize the appropriate relay. Factory low activates my low beam relay and factory high activates my high beam relay. I used dual 87 relays to ensure one side didn't starve the other.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
That diagram looks to me as being wired in series. Eithier way I would do a relay for each light max power available for them no matter what and if one fails you don't lose bothights. Redundancy is a good thing when it comes to safety equipment. I will admit I am not the best at reading wiring diagrams but I am learning. If I read it wrong please explain where I went wrong so I will know for next time
The red wire goes to both headlights and branches off. Parallel.

If it were in series, the red would go to one light,the negative for that light would go to the positive of the second light, then the negative of THAT light would go to ground.

And two relays to troubleshoot are much better than four. This "starving of lights" **** needs to stop. Spreading misinformation based off of your lack of understanding of electrical systems. If a pair of lights is running in parallel, they're both getting full voltage, as long as the relay can handle it. Two HID ballasts are 6-10 amps each on startup. Most relays are 30-40 amps. Enough to run three or four HID ballasts on one prong. I wouldn't worry about a relay failing from high amperage.

Another thing to think about with running high and low off of separate relays: Let's say your high beam relay "sticks" on. You now have juice going to both your low and high beam wires in your lights. If your two-relay system relays fail, either your lights stay on full time (then you replace your SPST relay), or your high beams stay on (then you change your SPDT relay). You're not sending juice through every wire. Having two relays instead of four (you still need the SPDT relay to switch between your two dual-output SPST relays, and the first SPST on/off relay to power the whole spiel) is just a waste of time, energy, space, and money.

Not to mention the limited sources for those KC style dual-output relays. As opposed to 2 bucks a pop for the standard SPST and SPDT relays at some vendors, you're paying $6+ per KC relay. And you're going to want spares.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo

The red wire goes to both headlights and branches off. Parallel.

If it were in series, the red would go to one light,the negative for that light would go to the positive of the second light, then the negative of THAT light would go to ground.

And two relays to troubleshoot are much better than four. This "starving of lights" **** needs to stop. Spreading misinformation based off of your lack of understanding of electrical systems. If a pair of lights is running in parallel, they're both getting full voltage, as long as the relay can handle it. Two HID ballasts are 6-10 amps each on startup. Most relays are 30-40 amps. Enough to run three or four HID ballasts on one prong. I wouldn't worry about a relay failing from high amperage.
Where are you getting 4 relays from. I had said two. Don't ***** at me because you assumed something that I didn't say. I even specifically said a post or two ago two relays. The holier than thou attitude needs to go. I also specifically said wired in series which would do exactly what I said it would. No misinformation there. You wire in series you get a voltage drop which will starve successive lights for voltage. So I read the diagram wrong so be it. I stated I read it in series. I didn't say use 4 relays and I didn't say don't wire it in parallel. Read before chastizing someone. It just makes an *** out of you. I made 1 mistake but was specific about the way I read it incase I read it wrong. You however made a bunch of assumptions about me that were wrong. I understand how a circuit works. That should be obvious. What I am not good at is the diagrams. So again lose the attitude. I gave no misinformation. I am sorry you feel the need to twist my words so you can feel superior but you can try that on someone else. There is also more than one right way to do most things. Just because it isn't your exact way doesn't make it wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.