Heres one. Key CB Mic and engine stalls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Heres one. Key CB Mic and engine stalls

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Heres one. Key CB Mic and engine stalls

OK, this one has me puzzled. I recently relocated my CB to the empty hole in my dash where my radio was. Now whenever I key the CB Mic to speak, the engine stalls. I have no idea what could be causing this. the fuel pump doesnt appear to be cutting off when I do this. anybody have any ideas?

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
ringguy

what kind of radio? It's either pulling too many amps from the already whimpy alternator or stray RF is affecting the computer and killing your truck. I'd think it's the first one though. What kind of radio?
ringguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
SirGCal

OR whereever he tapped the power from is interrupting or overdrawing the ignition/run circuit. Is the CB's power and ground (always for communication devices) run directly to the battery? If not, that would be the first thing I did before troubleshooting any further. Dont' forget a fuse at the battery.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
ringguy

yeah, that's a strong possibility. I always assume that people wire the radio properly, both HOT and COMMON go directly to the battery.
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, always wire 2-way radios directly to the battery for the least amount of problems. And is the antenna cable routed anywhere near the engine computer? If so, I'd re-route that antenna cable to get it as far away from the engine computer as possible.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

its a Uniden 250XL. I have the power wire run off of an aux. fuse block from the battery, for the ground I did it Chasis style. It was grounded to the chassis before and I didn't have a problem with it. the antenna cable is routed behind the glove box then along the passenger side rails to my antenna mounted on the back of the passenger side. I used RG-8 cable, the thicker stuff. I did get to thinking about it and I was wondering if maybe its somehow affecting my kill switch wired to my MSD 6 offroad ignition. the MSD 6 has an easy tap for a kill switch and I have one of my dash switches wired to it (anti theft device, have to turn that and the fuel pump on or the Jeep won't start) now the CB is just a few inches from this switch.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
ringguy

I think you mean, Uniden 520xl. In any case, rewire it and put both the common and the hot directly to the battery. That should solve your problem. I asked what radio because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a ten meter radio, coverted for CB freq's. Stray RF is almost out of the question at those levels. So, rewire it and you should be cool.
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah dont mind me, I get a little dislexic sometimes.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
carlb416
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Radio interference

OK, all this talk about type of radio, where hooked up and power are not the problem. I have this problem with my F250 and it just started. To check out the radio, I reconnected every terminal that I could think of.
The problem is that the radio frequency is switching some sensor or the cpu. To prove this, I had a buddy pull up right next to me and key his radio.
Sure enough, my engine died.
Now I need to find out which component is picking up this signal.
carlb416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
SirGCal

Again, power/ground both directly to the battery for any communications device. For this reason specifically as an example. You key up or someone else does and the unit pulls more power when otherwise idle and that power draw can kill the vehicle from other circuits.

Also if your antennas are poorly matched or improperly setup that could be a major issue. And or if either of you are running illegal amplifiers... Ya that could kill a lot of cars on the street today with modern electronics far more susceptible to RF interference if that's their goal.

Simply put, unplugging the CB makes the issue go away, then it's the CB itself or the antenna tied to it or how it's wired. That's all it can be. If that DOES NOT stop it; then the other vehicle most likely has an illegal setup, or your vehicle has a failing piece or had some seriously non-standard modifications done to it likely with the ground loop braid straps (not just cables) rendering it vulnerable to a lot more then just that.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
carlb416
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Power/Ground

You have no idea. The RF frequency is affecting one of the sensors. The other vehicle was 3 feet away from mine and when he keyed up his radio my rig died. This has nothing to do with power.
I changed out my mass air flow sensor, and the problem went away.
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
carlb416
1994 YJ Wrangler 

More info

By the way, I was a sonar tech in the Navy, ran several electronic shops and am a licensed electronics technician.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
SirGCal

That is a problem with your vehicle itself; not a problem with the installation. And it was answered. That is an entirely different question all together. We can't answer a question without all the facts. You want miracles with a loaded question with no troubleshooting steps? Good luck with that one...

I've seen people killing their engines with the most ridiculous 'got power from this circuit' installs so many times I lost count. So when some newb comes up here with NO information and the 'Hey, this happens', he gets the usual list of common things to check. Once he would go through them and eliminate/validate them we could go further.

Apparently you had something else that jumped you up to MAF that happened to cure your problem at the same time. Great, peachy. Happy for ya. The F250's have known MAF issues which is why I got rid of my tow rig before I got rid of my Jeeps (that and I swore never another GAS tow-rig again... Diesel only. But MS finished my wheeling before.. nevermind.).

So. Because you jumped to the end. Great, but that doesn't mean 'we have no idea'... Happy you got it fixed. Saved us the time of dealing with it. Besides it's Jeepforum not Fordforum...

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.