Help w/ headlight conversion concerns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help w/ headlight conversion concerns

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Help w/ headlight conversion concerns

So I've searched and read on 3 forums now about what headlights to get and such and have changed my mind on getting e codes with ddm hid kit to now going cibies from Daniel stern, bulbs and wiring kit. My questions though are:

1. Is it going to be difficult to wire up this new harness once I get the parts from him and is there splicing of wires as I assume it's not plug and play since I have to add my own wiring.

2. I was spoiled with the bi xenon lights in my rover and these tj lights suck big time. Am I going to be happy?

My budget was $200 but looks like it might be a tad more now.

05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
So I've searched and read on 3 forums now about what headlights to get and such and have changed my mind on getting e codes with ddm hid kit to now going cibies from Daniel stern, bulbs and wiring kit. My questions though are:

1. Is it going to be difficult to wire up this new harness once I get the parts from him and is there splicing of wires as I assume it's not plug and play since I have to add my own wiring.

2. I was spoiled with the bi xenon lights in my rover and these tj lights suck big time. Am I going to be happy?

My budget was $200 but looks like it might be a tad more now.
I am a huge proponent of only putting HID's in projectors. You're going to get the best performance out of the lights and you're not going to blind anyone else on the road. You can buy projector kits and do a retrofit into some JK headlight buckets. Or even get junkyard projectors and make them fit. The HID's in E-codes will be near impossible to aim in a way that wont blind on coming drivers and also give you the performance you're looking for.

As far as the wiring goes, I assume you'll have to make some sort of harness up to have the factory headlight harness trigger the relays to turn the ballasts on for the HID's. It should be pretty straight forward thought. I'm sure someone will know better than me, but I believe there are just 3 wires in the factory harness; low beam, high beam and ground.

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey there fellow Floridian.. What exactly is in Daniels kit. I've built several of these harnesses as plug and play but all have been used on cj's and yj's. What the female stock side of head lift harness look like. If it's the standard 3 prong you can make it a plug and play set up. If you need help give me a call or text.. I'll pm you my number.

Jim
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
MadMaxD

Check out my thread with my HID retrofit. You can buy a set of sealed beam H4 conversion headlights with a clear lens for 30 bucks, and bang out a retrofit in about 2 hours.

Your other option would be to wait until they come out with a sealed beam to projector conversion OR drop in a set of JW Speaker LED headlights, which are crazy expensive (expect to pay around $800 a set).

If you decide to build a set of projector headlights, this is what you would need:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

Select H4 on the wiring harness, Morimoto 3Five 35W ballasts, either 4300 or 6000k bulbs (4300 is factory white and puts out the best light), and do either Panamera or Gatling Gun shrouds. As for housings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Round-Seal...d2d56c&vxp=mtr

Or if you don't care about the housing quality:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7-ROUND-H...98bd14&vxp=mtr

Either one you'd have to bake open to install the projector. It seems difficult but it really quite easy, especially since you'd be using a Mini D2S in a housing designed for an H4 bulb (no alignment issues). The wiring harness is plug and play, and you'll end up with headlights as good or BETTER than your Range Rover's. PM me if you need any help, I've done a couple retros and would be happy to help.

BTW, the Mini D2S is a bixenon projector, you'll love it.
MadMaxD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just scored a pair of cibies, ordered osram 70/65 h4 bulbs and upgraded headlight harness. Cant wait to install this week!
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.