Help with Speaker Mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help with Speaker Mounting

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
LouDog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Help with Speaker Mounting

So here's my problem:
I ordered the Nalin Mfg. 5.25 adapters for my 99 TJ dash speakers and also dremeled those metal bars away as instructed. I then ordered a pair of the Infinity 5032cf (5.25") speakers for the front and the 6032cf (6.5") for the sound bar. I just received my 5.25's today and put them in the bracket but when I tried to slide it in to the driver's side dash it's being blocked my the a/c tube . Am I doing something wrong? I have no problem sliding it into the passenger side but the driver side isn't working. Did i get speakers that are to deep and does anyone know if the 6.5's will even fit in the soundbar when I get them? The mounting depth for the 5.25's is 2-1/16" (52mm). This sucks and I'm afraid I'm going to have to send them back. Any suggestions?

LouDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

How close is it to fitting? I know 6"s are too deep, but this is the first 5.25" I've ever heard of. Is it close enough that you could slide a washers or two between your plate and the sub-frame?

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My cell is 812-455-8sevenseven8 is you'd like to troubleshoot with me. I'll make sure you get them in there one way or another!

I just did some research on the Crutchfield website and it looks like all of the 5-1/4"s are 2-1/4"+ deep except for maybe one for two that are 2-1/8". We'll figure it out.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...%2f4&showAll=Y

Here is one of my favorite customer install write-ups if you'd like to double check if you put them in correctly. The Polk DB521's used by esad_b are actually a hair deeper at 2-5/16" deep
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/h...-pics-1244021/

Infinity 5032cf:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1085032...r_Size|5+1%2f4

5-1/4" 2-way speakers (pair)
Plus One+ Injection-Molded Polypropylene (IMPP) woofer cone with hi-roll rubber surround
1" UniPivot edge-driven, textile dome tweeter
True Four Ohm Impedance technology: speaker's 2-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load
compatible with virtually all factory or aftermarket car stereos
power range: 2-45 watts RMS (135 watts peak power)
frequency response: 67-21,000 Hz
sensitivity: 92 dB
top-mount depth: 2-1/4"
warranty: 1 year

Polk db521:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB52...r_Size|5+1%2f4

5-1/4" 2-way cars speakers (pair)
Dynamic Balance polymer/mica composite woofer with butyl rubber surround
3/4" pivoting liquid-cooled silk/polymer composite dome tweeter
Neodymium tweeter magnet
Kapton voice coil
built-in 2-way crossover network
ABS wheel-design grilles
stainless steel mounting hardware
certified for marine use
power range: 4-45 watts RMS (135 watts peak power)
frequency response: 60-22,000 Hz
sensitivity: 93 dB
top-mount depth: 2-5/16"
warranty: 1 year

edit: and yes, you will be able to fit 6.5"s in your soundbar. You may have to drill new holes, but the hole is large enough to accommodate a larger speaker.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
LouDog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I appreciate the help. I'm thinking I may not have cut away enough metal on the driver side. I'm gonna go try that and see if it works. If not I may be giving you a shout TigerTrack. Back to the lab!
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
LouDog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok - this is ridiculous as hell. I cut some more metal thinking that was the problem - nope. I also applied that piping between the back of the speaker and the adapter plate to give it a few it some more room and NOTHING WORKED!! The freakin' a/c tube is still in the way! I bought these speakers off ebay - you think that has something to do with it? Maybe they're not "real" infinity's? I know that sounds kind of crazy but I can't figure out the issue I mean there is absolutely no way to make them fit it makes about a centimeter gap at the top and bottom and there's no space for the speaker to flex. Parts of the back of the dash would be pressing into the speaker.
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDog View Post
Ok - this is ridiculous as hell. I cut some more metal thinking that was the problem - nope. I also applied that piping between the back of the speaker and the adapter plate to give it a few it some more room and NOTHING WORKED!! The freakin' a/c tube is still in the way! I bought these speakers off ebay - you think that has something to do with it? Maybe they're not "real" infinity's? I know that sounds kind of crazy but I can't figure out the issue I mean there is absolutely no way to make them fit it makes about a centimeter gap at the top and bottom and there's no space for the speaker to flex. Parts of the back of the dash would be pressing into the speaker.
Sit the speaker on a level surface and use a tape measure to check the mount depth. Let's see what you've been dealt to work with. That wouldn't be a crazy assumption, it happens.

edit: Not to point fingers at your ebay seller, but in over 600 sets sold this is the first mount depth issue brought up. You are correct in thinking that something is obviously wrong! Infinity spec's show that your 5032cf's should be 2.25" from the back of the plate, if that is off you should be able to file a fraud case on ebay if you believe them to be fake.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
LouDog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well i just measured them and they're definitely not 2.25" If what you're saying is correct about measuring from the back of the plate they appear to be at 2-5/16". There's a shop down the road that carries them; I think I'll take them in tomorrow and see if we can figure something out. If all else fails I have 2 weeks to send them back.
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDog View Post
Well i just measured them and they're definitely not 2.25" If what you're saying is correct about measuring from the back of the plate they appear to be at 2-5/16". There's a shop down the road that carries them; I think I'll take them in tomorrow and see if we can figure something out. If all else fails I have 2 weeks to send them back.
here is a picture to help illustrate how to measure for top mounting depth:

Good luck and keep us up to date with your findings! Let me know if I can ever be of any assistance.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you mounting the bracket to the face of the speaker then inserting it or mounting the plate behind the speaker? It may not be a centimeter but may help.
Unread 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
Are you mounting the bracket to the face of the speaker then inserting it or mounting the plate behind the speaker? It may not be a centimeter but may help.
That's a good point.
If you can, post a picture of how you its mounted in the bracket, and what's going on in the dash cavity with the a/c tube. That will help get the rest of us on the same page as you.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
LouDog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
No, I'm mounting it to the back of the speaker then sliding it into the dash. I've referenced a few of the write-ups and I'm about 98% sure I'm doing it correctly. I'll post some pics up today and maybe you guys can spot something I'm not. I'll also be going to a car audio shop today to check and make sure my speakers are the size they're advertised as. Thanks again.
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
LouDog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is so damn frustrating it's ridiculous. I think I'm just going to send these speakers back and try something different..Maybe my jeep is weird but no matter what I try the a/c tube is in the way yet on the passenger side it slides in just fine - no problems. Is it possible that maybe my a/c tube was replaced before I bought it? I've got receipts on all (this thing was meticulously maintained. so yeah, i have a giant stack of receipts and detailed work orders from the mechanics) maintenance done on my jeep by the previous owner and I see nothing about any a/c issues. Do 99 wrangler sahara's have something different inside that I don't know about?
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

99 sahara's have the same a/c components as far as I know. try posting, emailing, or texting me a pic so I can get a visual of what might be wrong. I'd hate for you to waste return shipping on your speakers if we can find a solution. A different brand with 2.25" mount depth might also have issues if your a/c tube is in fact the problem.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From the pictures that tigertrack1600m posted, it looks like the magnet is larger on the Infinity than it is on the Polk. I wonder if that is what is causing the problem?

Since I have a couple sets of Polks lying around, I took a measurement of the magnet. The magnet diameter is ~70mm.

The diameter including the tweeter leads is ~72mm.

I also wonder if the landing for the tinsel leads (where the terminal connection is) is interfering as well. Maybe you can try to face the connection to the driver's side door to see if that makes any difference.

Jay
rubibluejay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jay, were you able to diagnose your fitment issue?

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.