Help!!! My sterio sucks!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help!!! My sterio sucks!!!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #1
myfirstcar5.9

Help!!! My sterio sucks!!!

Hey,

I am new, I just got a new Jeep Cherokee 5.9, and I heared that they came with an awesome 180 watt Infinity. Well, I cranked that sterio up, and it sounded worse then a big guy sitting on a bag of potato chips!!! Anyway, the speakers rattle, and I am not sure if they are blown, or if there is a vibration. Does anyone know of any speakers that work well in this situation? Because I hate when you buy speakers in a store that sound good, and then you hook them up, and they sound all twangy LOL, well, if you have any advise, let me know!!!

myfirstcar5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
AudioGuru

Those "Infinity Gold" speakers that are factory installed suck. They have a tiny magnet, paper cone, and foam surrounds. Granted, they sound better than most stock speakers that manufacturers inflict upon the public, but they still suck. At the prices that stealerships charge for "premium sound" they should be tried and hanged.

Grab your favorite CD, and go to your local car audio shop. Avoid Best Buy/Circuit City type stores. As a rule, don't expect to buy quality electronics from a place that sells toasters(and don't expect knowledgeable advice, either). Find a salesperson and play your disc on several speakers at a volume you like(without distortion) and then pick. Push them hard, but don't damage them. The Grand Cherokee is pretty common. Ask the salesperson what they've done for that vehicle in the past, and have a good idea of where you want to end up. A good salesperson should detail a roadmap to your ideal system. Or, you can tear everything out and start fresh.

What kind of music do you listen to, and at what volume? Do want to replace the factory amplifiers? Add subwoofers? DVD/navigation with a PS2? or do you just want some good sounding speakers? What's your budget?

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]

Last edited by AudioGuru; 05-11-2003 at 02:05 PM..
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
myfirstcar5.9

Hey thanks!!!

As of now, I am not looking to soak a whole bunch of money into my sterio system, I will probably just replace the speakers that I already have with somthing HALF decent LOL, They just don't cut the cake My mom has a Volvo S70 without any sterio upgrades, and those 100 total watts can put out FAR better sound then the 180 watts in my Jeep!!! Well, I MAY install a small wolfer, but nothing large, I just really don't see spending a whole bunch of money on something to blow my ears. I figure I will probably spend about $200-$500 just depends on what I get from my money (Still trying to recover from the purchaise of my truck)

Hey besides the speakers, how would you rate the sterio itself? Am I going to replace my speakers and find that the sound pouring out of them is still horrible? Thanks.

Last edited by myfirstcar5.9; 05-14-2003 at 12:30 PM..
myfirstcar5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
MAjeep87

Just see what sounds good to you. Then find it on the internet at places like www.ikesound.com , www.etronics.com , www.purecaraudio.com you can find it much cheaper. I would get a new headunit if i was you most of the stock ones suck. but you will definantly get better sound if you replace your speakers. spend most of your money on front speakers preferably a component set. dont worry about your backs too much they normally just mess up the sound.
Another thing you could do if you want you keep your stock head unit. is buy an amp with high level inputs(speaker wires not rca's) you can get a decent amp for about 200 bucks. then buy some good front components and run the front speackers off the amp. that way if people look in your car all they see is the factory head unit.
i could give you some example if I new what size speakers you have. Or just the year of your car.
MAjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
idcx3

2 to 5 hundred dollars will buy you a tour in a stereo shop.....be prepared to lay down more then that....my advice to you is to see what you want at the stereo shop then go to ebay and buy the same thing at a damn near wholesale price...just be sure that you are buying from a power seller who is selling NEW IN BOX equipment

dont replace the back speakers??? hell, in my TJ the back speakers ARE the sound....i never do anything half assed when it comes to stereos, if your going to upgrade one portion, upgrade the whole damn thing

Last edited by idcx3; 05-16-2003 at 03:43 PM..
idcx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
MAjeep87

rear speakers mess up SQ because if you think about it you are hearing the front speakers first then you hear the rear. because the front speakers are closer to you. Also if i was him i would replace the rear speakers with a midbass driver. that will give him some decent bass with the amound of money he wants to spend.
flowmaster deltaflow muffler
Unread 05-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #7
jiggajeeps

1st of all, great choice for your first vehicle, although anything else will seem like a downgrade.

I replaced the four door speakers with aftermarket infinitys and put a self powered basslink sub in the rear. Now i get all the bass i could want without pushing the other speakers. Therefore, the entire system sounds great at all but the highest volumes.

Also, by keeping it all Infinity, you don't have different frequencies getting in the way!

good luck
'04 KJ Sport, '98 5.9 Deep Slate, FIPK2, Mopar ECU, '93 XJ Country, '92 YJ 4.0 5speed
jiggajeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
soccergk2003

how trustworthy is Ikesound.com, have a great price on the CD/MP3 player i want.
soccergk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
Black96ZJ

Having bought two things from there, I have not had any problems at all. The only thing is, some of the products are not under manufactures warranty because they are not an authorized dealer for a few brands. The good thing is, that on most of the stuff they sell, they warranty it for as long as the manufacturer would have. Hope this helps

- Dan
Black96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
MAjeep87

flowmaster deltaflow muffler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.