Help Me!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help Me!!!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
BMorrNH
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Help Me!!!

So much for easy. I haven't changed a car stereo out in over a decade! Not the mechanical type, but how hard can it be with all the accessories. Anyway, I've had it, so here I am. 2004 TJ LWB, Kenwood BT652U head unit, all wires match, everything good. No sound from sound bar speakers, dash and sub sound amazing, fade to back, NOTHING. Plugged stock HU back in, everything worked fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have read through several threads here, nothing dealing with my specific problem. All harness wires match perfectly, have no clue why those speakers won't work and don't want to put it all together until I figure it out.

BMorrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Follow the lines to the rear speakers and make sure the wires you connect in the dash are actually connected to the sound bar speaker (wraps up through the rollbar padding). You may need to pull down the soundbar speakers and have a look and make sure they're wired.
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing you can try is to reset the unit. If you don't have quick access to the manual, it can be viewed here.

You wouldn't happen to be using Bluetooth for audio when you're only hearing sound from the front speakers, would you? The default setting for Bluetooth is FRONT only, so you'll have to read your manual to navigate & switch it to ALL speakers.

Post back up whether or not you resolved your issue.
Edit: Welcome to JF!

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Follow the lines to the rear speakers and make sure the wires you connect in the dash are actually connected to the sound bar speaker (wraps up through the rollbar padding). You may need to pull down the soundbar speakers and have a look and make sure they're wired.
Im going to guess he's using a harness that plugs into the factory wiring, so if he has sound from the factory unit the wiring should be good.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Im going to guess he's using a harness that plugs into the factory wiring, so if he has sound from the factory unit the wiring should be good.
Doesn't mean the PO didn't chop into the rear wiring to add an amp or remove the soundbar completely at some point.
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Indy

If he is plugging the factory deck in and it works, then plugs in at the exact same point(with assumingly properly wired harness) and it doesnt, then the wiring from deck to speakers is fine.

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

INDY I must have missed the section where he said he tried the oem stereo and it was fine. Curious if he ever tried Jay's bluetooth suggestion.

To the OP is the headunit you're installing new? or did you buy it used? You disconnected the negative wire from the battery correct? Otherwise you may want to check that fuse. I see on crutchfield that setereo has a hpf, make sure that setting is at 0 to start.
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Curious if he ever tried Jay's bluetooth suggestion.
I only browsed through the manual, but caught that the default Bluetooth setting was FRONT only. I can't remember if my Kenwood was the same.

The first thing (and easiest) I would do is reset the unit to see if that solves the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is a possibility of the receiver having 2-Zone capabilities, which I didn't catch while quick browsing. I think if that is turned on, the rear speakers receive their information from the 3.5mm aux jack.

Hopefully, the OP comes back to report his findings.

Jay
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Indy

As an opinion, why in the hell would you default to front only or needing to actually plug in? What kind of good sense does that make?

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
As an opinion, why in the hell would you default to front only or needing to actually plug in? What kind of good sense does that make?
I sometimes wonder if the aftermarket stereo manufacturers ever test or use their products in a real world environment...

That being said, my receiver defaults to front (F / F-R / F-L adjustable) because the 2-Zone defaults to the rear (F / R adjustable). Funny thing though, the 3.5mm Aux input, which is what the 2-Zone uses, is turned off by default. Figure that one out!

Jay
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
BMorrNH
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well everyone, you will be happy to know that by the time I got the first reply here, I had it fixed! Bluejay was right, it was a factory setting for bluetooth that was set to FRONT only speakers, crazy! Everything worked great but the bluetooth, which is why I bought it.

Sorry for the delayed post, life is crazy these days. On a side note, the sound is infinitely better, even with stock speakers, which will be replaced in order of importance next. I am using a local guy, crutchfield, and reading up on it. However, I am getting the sense that a wrangler is a wrangler is a wrangler as far as sound quality. I mean you can't sound deaden a wrangler that has the top off half the year! So I don't think I'll be investing top dollar in the speakers. My local guy says kickers for the sound bar should be first, great sound, low $$, very durable. Thoughts? Then it will be a small amp and sub, then front speakers, then done.
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got everything working correctly.

Now, on to the speaker replacement choices. First, I'd stop going to your local guy if he says "soundbar first". You want a front stage, not a rear (over head nonetheless) heavy presence. You shouldn't even notice the rear fill. I would suggest looking into Nalin Mfg's 5.25" dash adapter plates. You can add the tweeter mounts, should you want to run a component set instead of coaxials.

As for actual speakers, you can usually find a buy one, get the second half price deal on Polk Audio db series (I have them & like them). Listen to as many brands as possible and pick what suits your ears.

If you have plans of running an amp(s) & sub(s), best bang for the buck would be a 4 channel amp running in 3 channel mode (rear 2 channels bridged mono for a sub), providing the amp has the power you're looking for. Amp the front speakers, power the rear soundbar speakers off of the head unit's internal amp & bridge the amp's rear channels for a sub. Ignore max ratings (go by RMS) & pay attention to the speaker's impedance (Ohms) when matching equipment. If you post up what you're looking at (with links, if you can), I'm sure you'll have plenty of replies from the enthusiasts here.

Once again, glad you got everything working & welcome (again) to JF!

Jay
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
BMorrNH
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just getting back in the swing of things, thought I would follow up on this thread. The Kendwood bluetooth is absolutely awesome! With my tablet and spotify premium, I haven't even tried a cd yet. Here is what the speaker setup looks like.

Soundbar, 5.25" kickers, they were so awesome I immediately blew my second factory sub. I went craigslist for a sub and amp. It took 3 craigslist specials to finally say screw it and buy a very affordable logic mono, actually it may be a dual, anyway, it is powering a ported 8" JBL sub in a really cool little enclosure that swivels. Honestly, I can't even believe my ears sometimes, its like listening to different music.

I went to do the dash and realized that it made no sense to spend even more money for speakers pointed at my knees. If anything, eventually I'll upgrade the size and quality of the sub, but I certainly don't need it louder. I'd love to hear a sealed 10" in comparison to my ported 8".

Anyway, thanks for all the help.
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
First, I'd stop going to your local guy if he says "soundbar first". You want a front stage, not a rear (over head nonetheless) heavy presence. You shouldn't even notice the rear fill. I would suggest looking into Nalin Mfg's 5.25" dash adapter plates. You can add the tweeter mounts, should you want to run a component set instead of coaxials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMorrNH View Post
I went to do the dash and realized that it made no sense to spend even more money for speakers pointed at my knees.
5.25"s in the dash improve your sound stage tremendously. Most people do the reverse of this if they're only going to replace just one set of speakers.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMorrNH
Just getting back in the swing of things, thought I would follow up on this thread. The Kendwood bluetooth is absolutely awesome! With my tablet and spotify premium, I haven't even tried a cd yet. Here is what the speaker setup looks like.

Soundbar, 5.25" kickers, they were so awesome I immediately blew my second factory sub. I went craigslist for a sub and amp. It took 3 craigslist specials to finally say screw it and buy a very affordable logic mono, actually it may be a dual, anyway, it is powering a ported 8" JBL sub in a really cool little enclosure that swivels. Honestly, I can't even believe my ears sometimes, its like listening to different music.

I went to do the dash and realized that it made no sense to spend even more money for speakers pointed at my knees. If anything, eventually I'll upgrade the size and quality of the sub, but I certainly don't need it louder. I'd love to hear a sealed 10" in comparison to my ported 8".

Anyway, thanks for all the help.
This coming from the guy who thought his factory front speakers & junk oem sub sounded amazing with his new headunit?? Spend the extra dough on the front 5.25 speakers with adaptors. I didnt go with 6.5 in soundbar only bc I didnt want them overpowering and screaming in my ear since I sit with the seat all the way back.

I have 75w rms running to all 4 speakers and I still have to fade music to the front to stop the rears from being too loud.
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.