help with light decision rigid 20" led - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > help with light decision rigid 20" led

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #16
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
How are you calculating the "candlepower" of your HID's ??
The manufacturer gives you the lumens in their packaging, with that number fallow these instructions.

Find out the lumens for the light source. Manufacturers generally measure light sources in lumens and put this information on the product (either on the box, or on the unit itself).

Measure the lumens with a light meter, if you cannot find the lumens on the box or product.

Divide the lumens by 0.07958. For example, 100 lumens / 0.07958 = 1257 candlepower.

lmillandiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillandiaz View Post
The manufacturer gives you the lumens in their packaging, with that number fallow these instructions.

Find out the lumens for the light source. Manufacturers generally measure light sources in lumens and put this information on the product (either on the box, or on the unit itself).

Measure the lumens with a light meter, if you cannot find the lumens on the box or product.

Divide the lumens by 0.07958. For example, 100 lumens / 0.07958 = 1257 candlepower.
hhmm,
I'm gonna have to do some digging and find out the what lumens my HID's are rated

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

They are around the same from one manufacturer to another, the main this is the change between the 55W to the 35W.

I've had both and prefer the 35W; personal preference.
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
wsar10
2003 WJ 

yeah I know,
IIRC mine were around 3200 lumens
I also prefer the 35w kits, mine are currently 6000k but when these bulbs go I will go down to 5000k.

Unread 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I knew a guy with a H3 Alpha. On the roof rack he mounted 40" LED light bars front and rear, and 50" LED bars left and right. They were Rigid brand. With all 4 on full power, it would easily completely light up a stadium if parked on the middle of the 50th yard line. Overkill? Yes. Bad Azz? Yes.

I would consider the LEDs...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrailratedJ View Post
I knew a guy with a H3 Alpha. On the roof rack he mounted 40" LED light bars front and rear, and 50" LED bars left and right. They were Rigid brand. With all 4 on full power, it would easily completely light up a stadium if parked on the middle of the 50th yard line. Overkill? Yes. Bad Azz? Yes.

I would consider the LEDs...
How much did he spend on that set up?
Unread 10-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
JeepSteerables
2013 JK Wrangler 

The problem with calculating the lumens of HID is that it is not accurate information. If you simply are looking at the "math" in a comparrison - the HID can win over a omperable LED - but put them on the trail and you will find out that a lot of those thousands of lumens that are listedd under HID's go in places you DO NOT want light - like up in the trees and depending on where you mount them - on your Vehicle.

The nice thing about LED's is that it is more USEFUL light - it gets directed WHERE you WANT light - not just every where.

Bottom line is - HID conversions WILL NOT LAST - so just becuase you may be saving a hundred or two dollars NOW, does not mean they are cheaper!!

Spend a little more money now and do it right - rather than coming back to this post after some descent wheeling and having to look up information on LED's again!
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #23
wsar10
2003 WJ 

maybe YOUR HID conversions do not last, I have many many customers for many years still running an HID retro that I did 10 yrs ago.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.