help with light decision rigid 20" led - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > help with light decision rigid 20" led

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
stanton3
2007 WK 

help with light decision rigid 20" led

I'm looking for a good lighting setup, I plan to mount them on my rola rack. Right now i'm basically torn/overwhelmed at what light to choose. I had decided on 4 lightforce 170's mounted on the rack, but i don't like the way they look and don't think they will look good mounted up. Now i'm looking at hids and leds.

Im looking right now at rigid industries 20" led bar to go on the rack. I like the way it looks alot better, and the durability is great. Only thing im concerned with is how good the light output is vs the cost. Every review i have read has been great about these lights but im still a little skeptical.
http://www.blackrhinoperformance.com...LIT354041.aspx

With both of those options im going to be spending about the same amount. And i like the idea of a bar alot better personally.

Now after reading some alot of people suggest buying halogens and converting them to hids. There are just too many options!

Thanks for any help! Im open to any suggestions!

2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

[SIZE="3"]Want to buy: 4xguard Rear Guard[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stanton3s-build-wk-1134656/"]My Build[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
[SIZE="3"][URL="http://wrjeepclub.com/"]Warner Robins Jeep Club[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
stanton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

I recently put together a kit of 6” spot lights with HID and is incredible how much this lights put out.
I calculated 35184 candlepower / 2800 lumens yielding a good spot a few hundred ft way.

My cost is around $120 depending on the spotlight housing quality. this is with 35W HID from the people that I trust the most www.fx-aa.com.
I have bought several HID kits from them and very little to none problem and if so, the warranty is excellent.
Check them out, they also have HID off-road and work lights but they can be pricey.

I suggest go for the HID, LED are a great option due to power consumption, but power LED is an industry that is still at an early stage of development and you could be spending a lot of money for something that can be obsolete very soon.

I can send you pictures of the latest kit I build.
lmillandiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

just make sure you don't put HIDs in any lights that you'll be using on the road and you should be fine.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

That is correct, any HID you buy after market states very clearly in the box that they are for off road use only. However, a lot of people ignore this statement and decide to take the risk of getting a ticket. Not my recommendation!!!!!
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
stanton3
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillandiaz View Post
I recently put together a kit of 6Ē spot lights with HID and is incredible how much this lights put out.
I calculated 35184 candlepower / 2800 lumens yielding a good spot a few hundred ft way.

My cost is around $120 depending on the spotlight housing quality. this is with 35W HID from the people that I trust the most www.fx-aa.com.
I have bought several HID kits from them and very little to none problem and if so, the warranty is excellent.
Check them out, they also have HID off-road and work lights but they can be pricey.

I suggest go for the HID, LED are a great option due to power consumption, but power LED is an industry that is still at an early stage of development and you could be spending a lot of money for something that can be obsolete very soon.

Cool thanks. So how many lights do you have total? Is that 2800 lumens total? The rigid is rated at 7200 so if you say yours are really bright the rigid should be ridiculous!

I will check them out for sure and look around at hids some. Thanks and pics would be awesome!
2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stanton3s-build-wk-1134656/"]My Build[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
[SIZE="3"][URL="http://wrjeepclub.com/"]Warner Robins Jeep Club[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You could look at a mix of spot and flood if you go with individual lights. With the light bar, you don't have the versatility.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

Staton3 2800 lumens is the spec for each HID bulb, the LED bar is a fixed and sealed device that if anything happened to it you are stock with the warranty if covered.

By making your own HID spots and/or floods, as recommended by Pdanger, you have more control and you can change individual parts as required, remember that when off-roading the light you mount on top may get damaged and replacing individual part is not too expensive if you make your own.

Also the HID spot are way better than high power LED bars for long range lighting.

My dream combination on a top mounted light bar would be a mix of floods and spots, 2 of each with 6000K HIDs.

As for pictures, look at this thread (anyone install higher wattage bulbs in fogs..?) I posted I picture of my latest HID spots. For some reason, I can’t post picture in this your thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-fogs-1226932/
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
stanton3
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
You could look at a mix of spot and flood if you go with individual lights. With the light bar, you don't have the versatility.
That's a good point, but the rigid is actually a spot/flood combo and from what ive seen and read it gives the light a good spread. Its one of the reasons im looking at the rigid

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

I got to say that the LED bar you are considering look great but I don’t think spending more than $600 not even more than $300 on a single light source is justifiable.

The current draw for the Led bar is much less than the HID but not small enough for use with the engine off so, my personal preference is HID for long range lighting and LED strips with less current draw for camp site lighting.
Unread 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
stanton3
2007 WK 

Quote:
Staton3 2800 lumens is the spec for each HID bulb, the LED bar is a fixed and sealed device that if anything happened to it you are stock with the warranty if covered.

By making your own HID spots and/or floods, as recommended by Pdanger, you have more control and you can change individual parts as required, remember that when off-roading the light you mount on top may get damaged and replacing individual part is not too expensive if you make your own.

Also the HID spot are way better than high power LED bars for long range lighting.

My dream combination on a top mounted light bar would be a mix of floods and spots, 2 of each with 6000K HIDs.

As for pictures, look at this thread (anyone install higher wattage bulbs in fogs..?) I posted I picture of my latest HID spots. For some reason, I canít post picture in this your thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-fogs-1226932/
Alright i will start looking into hids. So you buy regular halogens and convert them all to hids? Which halogens do you start with and can all of them be converted?

Quote:
I got to say that the LED bar you are considering look great but I donít think spending more than $600 not even more than $300 on a single light source is justifiable.

The current draw for the Led bar is much less than the HID but not small enough for use with the engine off so, my personal preference is HID for long range lighting and LED strips with less current draw for camp site lighting.
Yea from what ive seen it is a good setup, but i agree 600 is too much for one thing. I found one that is for sale right now and is used for a little cheaper.

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

My thump rule is that they have at least 4.25” in depth.

The HID bulb must be very well isolated from the housing to prevent shorts to ground.

I usually extend the bulbs’ wires to find a better location for the ballast; however, this is a risky thing to do because if you don’t protect the splice very well you could be crating a short at the point.

I use several layers of heat shrink and individual flex-guard.

Where to buy halogen light?
you can find them everywhere, I have used both top end KC hi-lites and harbor freights brand, both work great.

I have done a few and sold some in craigslist, no complaints so far.
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
JeepSteerables
2013 JK Wrangler 

Okay, I have to be careful with my statements, because I WORK for an LED Light manufacturer (Grote) and I don't want to be misconstrued as pushing Product here... so let me just give generalities...

First off... LED DO compete with HID's in light output as well as many other ways. Let me say it this way - there are several manufacturers that make LED's that are being used for both long range and short range output Lamps.

One in particlaur that I know of supplies and offroad LED Lamp to the Military, which was first designed to sell to Baja Designs. I have a picture of that Lamp illuminating out to 1675 Meters - which competes with ANY HID on the the market.

As far as LED's being outdated in the future - that is rediculous! Check with nearly ANY (Major) US manufacturer of Vehicular Lighting and they will agree - it it the HID technology that is antiquated and getting replaced by LED light source.

The LED is rated for 40-50,000 hours whereas the HID is rated for 1500.

The LED Draws only a couple Amps - constant current - whereas the HID has a MAX IN RUSH Amperage of nearly 10Amps.

The LED can get smashed in to a tree or drowned in water (as long as the manufacturer seals the circuit board in Potting) - whereas an HID will blow like a standard bulb when jarred too hard - and don't even think of getting them near water - if they are on they will blow due to the heat drop when dowsing them in water and if the water gets in to the Lamp they will fail immediately...

Like I said, I obviously know lights because I work for a company - but honestly - don't be led in to buying HID's - they DO offer a great light output - but they are NOT built to last...

Just do some more research - there are plenty of folksmanufacturing HIGH quality LED Lighting - HERE in the US... you just need to look a little more....

The best bet would be to ask the supplier to demo them to you - but go with LED's definitely!!
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
CantFocus
2003 WJ 

Hella 500s modded with HIDs seems to be the cheapest and a very effective way to get a lot of light. At right around 65 for each pair of lights and 45 for the HID kit, cant really beat it.

That LED bar is just under $700 and you get 6400 lumen if i am reading that correctly.
4 Hella 500s with 55w HIDs cost around $220 and should net about 20,000 lumen (assuming around 5000 lumen per light)
[B][SIZE="3"]Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #338[/SIZE][/B]
2003 WJ Laredo 4.7 Loaded including Upcountry Package - 2" BB - Rola rack - V3 Black Projectors - 55W 5000k HIDs - Yellow 9005 fogs - JKS Discos.... More to come
CantFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
lmillandiaz
2001 WJ 

LEDs do provide a more efficient light due to size, AMP drw and simplicity of connection, on top of that the durability which is definitely higher that the HIDs’. But at the price you have to pay right now for LED technology, it is not worth it unless you have money to spare and want the greatest and latest technology in your vehicle; I just don’t see that happening in the world of off road.

My personal opinion is go for cheap HID conversion you can find. With HID kits ranging from $50 to $75 depending in quality and spot or flood light in the range of $15 to $25 per light; you may find that even if one of them gets destroyed, it wont cost you much to replace it.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I recently put together a kit of 6” spot lights with HID and is incredible how much this lights put out.

How are you calculating the "candlepower" of your HID's ??

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.