Help! with jeep domelight! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help! with jeep domelight!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-21-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
Dauntless77

Help! with jeep domelight!

I currently own a 1994 YJ and I bought a standalone domelight to use on my rollcage. I ordered an RB-1 Dome light from JCWhitney.com, and installed it. At first I had the wiring spliced into the left door open/closed alarm wiring, thinking this would make it light up when the cab light at my feet did. No go . After that, I rewired it under the rollcage padding and spliced the wiring directly to the cab light. It worked for about a minute or so, and then turned off, probably victim to a short out, i think. I tried replacing the domelight fuse with a 20 amp (previously it had a 10) but that didn't work. I'm pretty sure its not a fuse problem, and just a problem of where to wire it to. The manual for the light, though, says to wire it into a 12 volt source and a vehicle ground. Any info, or tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time on jeepforum.com and I currently own a stock Red Wrangler, Manual.

Dauntless77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
SirGCal

Well, first off you never want to do something that requires upgrading the fuse in an existing circuit. The rest of the circuit might not take the load. I'd have to check a FSM to see what could be the trouble. (you might have overloaded a 10A relay which would need replacing...)

I'd also have to see a FSM to know exactly where to add the light. But if I had to do without, I'd use a 30A relay with battery-based power triggered by the hot wire for the other lights. (I'd also move the other light to the relay battery power side.) This way I know the circuits won't be overloaded and everything can operate safely.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Don't ever increase the amperage rating of a factory fused circuit that is already in place, the circuit may not be able to handle the additional draw and a fire will occur.

Is the bulb OK, sometimes during shipping the bulbs get damaged a little, that is enough to fail shortly after install; Check it !

If the bulb is OK then look at your wiring, pull it out from where it is attached and look it over, don't tie it in place until after the system id working OK.

Double check the ground, is it a good connection to bare metal ?
Add External Star Lock Washers to teh connection between the Ground Lug and the bare metal.

Take a look at where you connected the dome wiring to the Cab Lighting, look for poor connections, poor soldering (if you soldered).
Solder all of your connections using the newer solder with a water based flux, soldering will almost garrantee the connection to be solid.

Test the overhead light out of the new circuit to verify it is not the light.

Not sure where to go from here, you don't usually need a relay for overhead lighting but if all else fails you could try to have a relay under the dash. Hook the control of the relay to the Cab Light circuit, then run power from the battery to the light using a fused line.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
Dauntless77

Thanks guys. Ill go ahead and check the current connection to the cab light, and solder the joint. If that doesnt work, ill go ahead and check into a fuse-in-the-dash or do a 30a fix. Once again, it's good to have other fellow jeepers to help you in a tight spot.
Dauntless77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.