help installing PL-259 connector - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > help installing PL-259 connector

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

help installing PL-259 connector

ok so my cb antenna got cut some how under the heep. what my best way to fix it? should i get 2 pl-259 connectors and 1 female/female to connect them to. or should i just buy some coax with removable tip to feed it through the cab and tub? i've heard its not a good idea to cut and splice coax? but i don't know anything about cb's and optimal hookup options.

Thanks

35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
8.8 W/Elocker, D30 W/Aussie
Genright tube fenders
willyb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
garthbrown
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd suggest you just pickup a new piece of coax if you can.

It's possible to splice coax if you know what you're doing and it's also possible to do the M/F connectors like you mention, but all of those options will introduce additional loss on the line. It's likely easier and probably (depending on exactly what you have and buy) nearly cost neutral to just replace the whole run.
1955 Willys Wagon SBC
garthbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Its not the best thing to splice coax due to how sensitive CB's are. If done correctly it'll work. A lot of where the "bad idea" thing comes from is, its not THAT easy to splice Coax. Gotta be extra careful to not short the inner and outer lines.

I use my CB antenna as my am\fm antenna also, so i spliced the antenna into two relays so i can switch it back to the CB when i need to. It works great on both.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i've been searching and a new coax with removable tip is about 10 bucks more than getting the connectors and plicing, but its alot less work. wheres a good place online to shop for coax?

Thanks
35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
Genright tube fenders
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It wont have the ends you need on it but any piece of coax cable should work. If you have an extra one that used to go to the cable in your house or a VCR or so-on.

Or you can go by lowes or even walmart, anywhere that sells tvs. Otherwise its gonna be an online order or a run to the nearest truck stop lol.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
GlennA
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexherb View Post
It wont have the ends you need on it but any piece of coax cable should work. If you have an extra one that used to go to the cable in your house or a VCR or so-on.

Or you can go by lowes or even walmart, anywhere that sells tvs. Otherwise its gonna be an online order or a run to the nearest truck stop lol.
Do not use television cable coax for your cb. It is 75 ohm impedence and you need 50 ohm impedence. Any good two way shop should have what you need. Especially a commercial radio shop such as one affiliated with Motorola.

You could splice it by installing a female PL-259 and a male PL-259 but as stated before, it will introduce additional line loss.
GlennA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i'm going to get a cable with removable pl259 tip.
35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
Genright tube fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.