HELP - DEAD TJ - Electrical Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > HELP - DEAD TJ - Electrical Problem

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
tglime
1998 TJ Wrangler 

HELP - DEAD TJ - Electrical Problem

Well I really did it this time. This winter my windshield wipers kept blowing fuses. This was happening during a week of blizzards here in MN, so as you can guess wipers were essential. One night after working I needed the wipers to work and I was out of spare fuses so I used a small wire and completed the circuit in the wiper fuse compartment. Worked perfectly and sparingly. The next morning I had to run a few errands and forgot about my rigging and put on the wipers. Within a minute the fuse blew and I smelled singed plastic/wire coating. After that, the Jeep was dead. The cluster would not light up. No noises made when turning the key. However the door open bing bing bing works fine.

I replaced and checked to the best of my knowledge all the fuses and relays behind the glove box and under the hood.

The Jeep is the most reliable thing in my life and I need her back.
I hope someone here can help

Thank you in advance.

tglime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your problem is going to be in the same place it was before, providing everything else was fused properly. You may have added to the problem by introducing heat to a wire bundle and shorting more wires but it most likey is going to be somewhere near your wiper circuitry.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
tglime
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon_Rob04 View Post
Your problem is going to be in the same place it was before, providing everything else was fused properly. You may have added to the problem by introducing heat to a wire bundle and shorting more wires but it most likey is going to be somewhere near your wiper circuitry.
Great feedback. I will check out the wire bundles as far as I can and re-check all the fuses again.

Everything was previously fused properly. Ive owned her for 10 years now and no problems until recently.
tglime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dude, I hate to say it. But If the Jeep is the most reliable thing in your life. You had better do something about that.
Eeeek! Stay away from my electrical system.
It sounds like you fried some other wires now too. Unscrew the fuse box from the firewall and inspect wiring closely. Look for melted wires. I would advise to disconnect battery before you do anything. It doesn't sound good. Good luck.
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglime View Post
Well I really did it this time. This winter my windshield wipers kept blowing fuses. This was happening during a week of blizzards here in MN, so as you can guess wipers were essential. One night after working I needed the wipers to work and I was out of spare fuses so I used a small wire and completed the circuit in the wiper fuse compartment. Worked perfectly and sparingly. The next morning I had to run a few errands and forgot about my rigging and put on the wipers. Within a minute the fuse blew and I smelled singed plastic/wire coating. After that, the Jeep was dead. The cluster would not light up. No noises made when turning the key. However the door open bing bing bing works fine.

I replaced and checked to the best of my knowledge all the fuses and relays behind the glove box and under the hood.

The Jeep is the most reliable thing in my life and I need her back.
I hope someone here can help

Thank you in advance.
A couple of your comments seem contradictory and confusing however, the purpose of a fuse is to protect wiring from current above the rated capacity. I would guess that without the protection of the fuse, something else failed due to overcurrent and is now preventing power flow. The last vehicle I rewired had a couple of wires with in-line fuseable links feeding the fuse panel. Not sure about your specific vehicle but if it's wired similarly, you could have a burnt link. Otherwise, then it's likely a burnt wire or connection.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter Your Jeep in the April COTM Contest... NAOW!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issue , electrical problem , electrical system , electronic , electronic ignition

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.