Help with CB controls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help with CB controls

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Help with CB controls

my grandpa was cleaning out his shed and came across an old cb and he gave it to me. I already have a cb in my TJ, but I have a few buddies that don't have one so I took it. He said it has been modified somehow for better range - it belonged to a deceased relative so he didn't know much about it. I know very little about cb's and there are a few different knobs on this one that my current one doesn't have. here's a picture I found online of the unit

if someone could help explain these functions, I would appreciate it
NB/OFF switch?
PA/CB - I got this one
VOL/RF GAIN knob - is the RF GAIN for signal strength? is it an amplifier?
AM/LSB/USB knob - this is for different radio bands right? AM is the standard CB band? what are LSB/USB?
DELTA/SQU knob - SQU is squawk. what it DELTA?
thanks

Unread 04-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
SirGCal

LSB = Lower Side Band
USB = Upper Side Band
NB = Noise Blanker

These side bands give you a lot more options for channels instead of 40 although it's not a standard feature for CB's today. Only the higher-end models have this.

Gain is for tweaking the incoming signal. Delta is to clean up the incoming signal.

However, if it's been 'modified' for more power; it's probably no longer legal to use. 4W is the max power conventional CBs can use on the main channels. 12W on the side band channels.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Miss Goldy Eagle is hawt! I would run my hands slowly up those white boots....

That's because I'm a CBer on the move!
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
LSB = Lower Side Band
USB = Upper Side Band
NB = Noise Blanker

These side bands give you a lot more options for channels instead of 40 although it's not a standard feature for CB's today. Only the higher-end models have this.

Gain is for tweaking the incoming signal. Delta is to clean up the incoming signal.

However, if it's been 'modified' for more power; it's probably no longer legal to use. 4W is the max power conventional CBs can use on the main channels. 12W on the side band channels.
thanks.........
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

While the controls were explained, it wasn't explained actually how to set them. Set the AM/USB/LSB to AM, 99.999% of all CBs operate in the AM mode. Setting it for USB or LSB would mean you couldn't understand what is being said on most other CBs, and they couldn't understand you either.

Just turn the RF Gain control all the way up and leave it there. RF Gain is another word for a "sensitivity" control and rarely would anyone turn it down. I have RF gains on my CB and ham gear and I can't remember the last time I needed to turn it down, which is normally only done if you're trying to talk with another CB who is running too much power or you're too close to the other CB transmitter.

Turn the Squelch control to just past the point the hissing sound disappears. That keeps the radio nice and quiet until someone transmits on the channel, then it will turn the audio on so you can hear the other person talking. Turning the Squelch TOO far will make the radio insensitive to all but the strongest signals so just past the point the hissing disappears is about right. You may have to turn it up a tad more once you start your engine to suppress any engine noise the CB might pick up.

The Delta tune is used for fine frequency adjustments but only for the LSB or USB modes, it is not used at all in the AM mode. By the way, LSB and USB stands for Upper and Lower Side Bands... which are Single Side-Band modes which some radios have. A LSB or USB signal will sound like Donald Duck talking if you try to listen to it on an AM radio... totally unintelligible though, unlike Donald Duck... mostly.

NB is 'Noise Blanker' which just means it will cut a bit of the noise down that you hear. You can normally just leave that on if it works ok. Finally, the CB/PA switch takes it out of the normal CB mode and allows you to use the CB as a PA (public address) system if you connect a big external speaker to it.

In closing, that radio is old enough that it only has 23 channels. CBs went to 40 channels many years ago so if anyone in your group wants to use a channel higher than 23, you'll have to tell them not to.

Finally, modern 40 channel CB radios can be purchased brand new for under $40-50 so keep that in mind too.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If that CB is in good conditon or has the box and papers, it worth a lot of money to collectors on eBay. You may be able to make a good profit and use that money purchase a newer 40 channel CB and an antenna system.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

That CB is probably worth more as a collectible if it is in good condition, as Tim says.
All 23 channel radios are now non-type approved by the FCC. It is either not a well known factor easily forgotten, but as of January 1st 1978, with the type acceptance of 40 channel CB's, all older 23 channel radios were considered not up to the new standards set forth by the FCC.
This unfortunate event caused, for instance, for Lafayette to go under due to their bid to stay in the 23 channel market instead and the huge amount of stock unsold after the ban.

I have a couple of those older 23 channels myself as part of my collection.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Comanche_

So you cant use 23 channel ones anymore? I found 2 of them in my grandpa's shed?
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
So you cant use 23 channel ones anymore? I found 2 of them in my grandpa's shed?
Read post #5 above, that was already explained.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
And you can't go 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. Nobody is going to check your radio for channels 24-40.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
And you can't go 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. Nobody is going to check your radio for channels 24-40.
Nope, not really.
I just happen to comply with FCC requirements since my Ham radio station is located in an extremely heinous HOA neighbourhood, so I could eventually get FCC checked.
Inthis case it was just a mention of a little known fact only.

I'd definitely go with something newer though for actual use, and keep the 23 channel if mint for collecting or sell it out to a collector.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post
my grandpa was cleaning out his shed and came across an old cb and he gave it to me.

if someone could help explain these functions, I would appreciate it
KEET IT, it is the best CB ever made.

There are so many modifications that can be done to that CB.
It was one of the most sort after CB ever.

Browning was a very respected name in the manufacturer of radio equipment for the military and when they made their CBs they became the best on the market.
Tram being second but by only a very small margin.

You can get your 40 channels with a switch soldered across two points on a chip inside of the CB and the modulation Talk Powerr) will blow away any of the CB on the market today.

See if it works first, then decide what you want to do.

If you do not want a 23 channel CB or do the mods needed, how much did you say you would take for it ?

Send me your price @ "nnf000@gmail.com"

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
RootJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a galaxy DX66v in my WJ but I'm trying to find one with SSB for under $100.
RootJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

yeah i'm running a 44v as a demo checking functions for a friend and its working real good but i'm looking for the new magnum
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Galaxy DX99v I would love to get a few bills for, if anybody is interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.