Help ??? Battery drains without key in ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Help ??? Battery drains without key in ???

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
rkcitymuse
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Help ??? Battery drains without key in ???

Any ideas ?? I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd. It has an intermittent electrical problem. On occasion it wont start and has to be jumped with another vehicle. Putting a meter on the battery shows it being drained .. Without the ignition key in. If I disconnect the battery it goes back up to 12volts. After it is jumped it will "usually" continue to start up but sometimes just goes dead again. The battery has been checked and holds a charge. When it is running it runs great. I have checked all the fuses and none are blown. Only other elec problems are .. one dead door lock and back hatch light is intermittent. Anyone have any clues ?? I have to find the solution to this. Everytime I think I have it fixed it does it all over again. ????

rkcitymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you put an amp meter in line with the battery to see what the current draw is? All vehicles have a small draw with the stereo and a few other electronics.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

Is there going to be an introduction with this post or are u gonna just use us like a dirty one night stand?

Get a test light/volt meter and start pulling relays. Any aftermarket electronics? Check if under hood light stays on(if there is one)
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
lauderdalechad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
jeepcicle
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure to check the battery cables as well, pull them off and clean them if they are corroded. I have a wrangler but had to have my vehicle jumped a few times I thought it was an interior light issue, but turned out to be a poor connection between the terminals and the cable.
jeepcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's Homeless Harry. I had the same problem - a few mechanics checked it out, tried to "fix" the problem - no solution. Given I leave my Jeep open, I suspect that Homeless Harry sleeps in my Jeep at night - and given he's afraid of the dark, leaves the door ajar - the interior light serving to keep him safe from the bogeyman.
Anyway, my main mechanic is a no-nonsense kinda guy - so he offered me two solutions - both involving a battery disconnect. You can buy a cheap one that attaches to the battery (the route I took), or they can install it inside the Jeep.
Luckily for me, Homeless Harry is a crackhead and can't figure out how to re-connect the battery, so he's moved on to another Jeep. Possibly yours?
At any rate, it works. No clue what's causing it, and I kinda don't care anymore. But my no-nonsense mechanic did relate that it wasn't fouling anything else up. Best of luck.
jeepcreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , electrical problem , short

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.