Hella wiring problems!!!! Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Hella wiring problems!!!! Help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Masterbrent07
1978 CJ5 

Hella wiring problems!!!! Help

so my buddy packing his stuff up to move to a new house found some a set of Hella Rallye 1000's in his closet and decided my CJ would make a good home for them. (nice guy hu?) while i was at work he drilled some holes in my bumper and slapped em on there, but left the wiring up to me.

now i have really no clue what i doing when it comes to wiring anything but i have decided that this new toy of mine is going to be my learning tool. so i went to Autozone where they weren't much help but i found a wiring kit for 8 bucks and as i expected i got what i paid for... the wires weren't a heavy enough gauge so my normally super bright lights would just barely glow orange. and it didn't come with a relay.... basically a three pronged switch and a inline 15amp fuse was what i paid for.

then i found this

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3420/foglite.jpg

i returned back to back to auto zone and bought 30amp fuses, 12 gauge wire, a volt meter, male and female connectors along with some washer looking ones to use as grounds, and a 40amp relay exactly like the one from the diagram i found.

back to the jeep, cut the power wire that was running from the switch to the battery and added a female connector to it and found a spot on my fuze box that said "ACC LTS" and it worked perfectly, turn my lights on and the switch got power....

next was top run the newer higher gauge wire to the inline fuse to the battery. with a new 30 amp fuse.... check

hooked power to the relay, kept the smaller gauge wire coming from the switch to the relay, grounded out the relay, and hooked up the lights which had not changed from the previous (mild orange light) setup..... flipped the switch and..... nothing.....

so i figured id at least see of the lights were going to light up so i took the battery line going to the relay off and just touched it with the power to my lights and blew the fuse. well i tried it more than once so i blew like 3 fuses....:thumb down:

my brother in law informed me that i would be able to hear the relay "click" on when it received power from the switch... which i never heard so i ran a line straight from the batter and hooked it up to the switch prong on the really and sure enough "CLICK!!!" so I'm guessing the 5volts coming from the switch is not enough to turn on the relay????

but once again i put in a new fuse, and tried using a line from the battery to give the signal to the relay to turn on and boom blew another fuse....

i just want these damn lights to work:brick wall

any ideas or way to go about resolving this would be amazingly appreciated!!!

Masterbrent07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

what fuse was blowing when you touched the wire to the battery?

When you heard the relay the relay click, did the lights go on?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Masterbrent07
1978 CJ5 

i have an inline fuse that runs from the battery to the relay. that was the fuse that was blowing.... and i think the lights would have turned of if they fuse has not blown... i think they were barely on when the fuse blew.
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think you have a short in your lights. From your description, you're shorting out between your lights and your relay. I'd replace all the wiring between your lights and the relay and try it then. If it keeps blowing, try disconnecting one light at a time and trying again. If it blows with one and not the other, open the one that it blows on and look for any scorch marks around the wiring inside the housing. As for why it didn't short out when you were using the other wiring kit, and why the other wiring kit didn't let all the magic smoke out when you hooked them up (your lights determine the amp draw, not the wire gauge. The wiring simply handles the amp draw, or it doesn't), I have no idea. 30 amps should be more than enough for Hella 1000s. Jeez, they're only 55W bulbs....you should be able to get away with a 15A fuse. If they were poorly powered with the previous kit, then apparently your switch had a resistor to prevent it from burning up and toasting your Jeep.

Perhaps your fuse holder is defective. Try bypassing the fuse and see if the lights turn on. But don't leave it like that unattended...immediately disconnect them and get a new inline fuse holder.

As for your relay not turning on from your switch...again the relay determines the amperage, it's always at 12 volts, and if the wiring and switch are not faulty it should actuate the high amperage side of the relay. Your switch is probably bad, or not hooked up properly. In fact, with the above observation, your switch might be limiting the amp draw with whatever built-in resistor it might have that caused your previous issue.

Is the switch lit? Could you possibly be trying to run the power through the prong that should illuminate the light? Because that one definitely has a resistor. How many prongs on the back of the switch?
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Masterbrent07
1978 CJ5 

there are three prongs on the back of switch. and I'm about 99% sure i have the switch hooked up correctly but i'll check it again... also i used a volt meter to check the power source i was running to the switch from the fuse box and it is only producing 5volts.... so next I'm just gonna hook it up to the batter and hopefully get all 12volts going through the switch. as far as running it with out the fuse... i'll try that next as well as re-wire the the lights going to the relay.
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://support.kchilites.com/index.p...ch&attach_id=8

Try this diagram. KC, Hella and others have wiring kits you could buy. To me it's worth the cost just not having to run around looking for what you need and ending up with more wire than you'll ever use.
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Masterbrent07
1978 CJ5 

replaced the fuse holder and ran the power to the switch from the battery instead of the fuse box and....... i now how lights

Tags
hella , lighting , wiring , wiring fog lights , wiring lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.