so my buddy packing his stuff up to move to a new house found some a set of Hella Rallye 1000's in his closet and decided my CJ would make a good home for them. (nice guy hu?) while i was at work he drilled some holes in my bumper and slapped em on there, but left the wiring up to me.
now i have really no clue what i doing when it comes to wiring anything but i have decided that this new toy of mine is going to be my learning tool. so i went to Autozone where they weren't much help but i found a wiring kit for 8 bucks and as i expected i got what i paid for... the wires weren't a heavy enough gauge so my normally super bright lights would just barely glow orange. and it didn't come with a relay.... basically a three pronged switch and a inline 15amp fuse was what i paid for.
then i found this
i returned back to back to auto zone and bought 30amp fuses, 12 gauge wire, a volt meter, male and female connectors along with some washer looking ones to use as grounds, and a 40amp relay exactly like the one from the diagram i found.
back to the jeep, cut the power wire that was running from the switch to the battery and added a female connector to it and found a spot on my fuze box that said "ACC LTS" and it worked perfectly, turn my lights on and the switch got power....
next was top run the newer higher gauge wire to the inline fuse to the battery. with a new 30 amp fuse.... check
hooked power to the relay, kept the smaller gauge wire coming from the switch to the relay, grounded out the relay, and hooked up the lights which had not changed from the previous (mild orange light) setup..... flipped the switch and..... nothing.....
so i figured id at least see of the lights were going to light up so i took the battery line going to the relay off and just touched it with the power to my lights and blew the fuse. well i tried it more than once so i blew like 3 fuses....:thumb down:
my brother in law informed me that i would be able to hear the relay "click" on when it received power from the switch... which i never heard so i ran a line straight from the batter and hooked it up to the switch prong on the really and sure enough "CLICK!!!" so I'm guessing the 5volts coming from the switch is not enough to turn on the relay????
but once again i put in a new fuse, and tried using a line from the battery to give the signal to the relay to turn on and boom blew another fuse....
i just want these damn lights to work:brick wall
any ideas or way to go about resolving this would be amazingly appreciated!!!