Hella Lights Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Hella Lights Help

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hella Lights Help

I bought some Hella Lights for my 01 Cherokee.

Not too "Electrically Smart"

Anybody want to post a good vid/pic or step by step instructions?

That would be great, Thanks!

acurrier2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen some pretty descent videos on YouTube on how to install these off road lights. The ones I saw were for Wranglers, but they were pretty descriptive and should be good enough to walk you through yours.
ShakaBrahTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring isn't hard, not hardly at all. It seems confusing at first because there's a lot to take in, but once you have a basic grasp of what is happening then it gets easier and easier to figure out.

Follow that basic diagram. If your lights didn't include a relay, I highly suggest investing into a few relays, Amazon has a 5 pack for dirt cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/AGT-Relay-Harn...e+5+pack+relay

I've bought them, they work exactly as a relay should. From there it's very straightforward if you follow the wiring diagram.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
acurrier2012
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That will definitly be a help. Thanks Guys.

If anybody happens to see a cherokee wiring video, please post.

Thanks.
acurrier2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Wiring isn't hard, not hardly at all. It seems confusing at first because there's a lot to take in, but once you have a basic grasp of what is happening then it gets easier and easier to figure out.

Follow that basic diagram. If your lights didn't include a relay, I highly suggest investing into a few relays, Amazon has a 5 pack for dirt cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/AGT-Relay-Harn...e+5+pack+relay

I've bought them, they work exactly as a relay should. From there it's very straightforward if you follow the wiring diagram.

Hey Xpress, I recently purchased some off-road lights and did not include a relay. They are only 55w per light (2 lights). I have seen several videos about putting in a relay. What's your opinion on putting in a relay and what exactly does a relay do? Does it reduce power through the switch? Thanks
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
jpittman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A relay acts as a trigger to turn on lights (or anything electrical) that draws a lot of current. The switch is not carrying the load of the lights.
A relay simply allows you to use a small amount of current to switch a much larger load. If you have lights that draw a lot of current you don't really want to have to run large wires under the dash and use a large switch.
jpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpittman View Post
A relay acts as a trigger to turn on lights (or anything electrical) that draws a lot of current. The switch is not carrying the load of the lights.
A relay simply allows you to use a small amount of current to switch a much larger load. If you have lights that draw a lot of current you don't really want to have to run large wires under the dash and use a large switch.
Thanks. I will consider getting a relay then.

Tags
cherokee , electrical , hella , instructions , lighting

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.