Headlights cut out. 92 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Headlights cut out. 92 XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
djlambert

Headlights cut out. 92 XJ

I upgraded my headlights to the globes that fit in place of the 6054 with a 9003 bulb in them. Ever since the upgrade my headlights cut in and out after about 5 min of driving. I disconnected one and the other will then stay on. Is there a relay that is getting hot and cutting out. Any ideas where to go next?

djlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you are overloading the stock relays and wires. The headlight switch itself is also prone to failure.

Buy or build and upgraded headlight wire harness. The PutCo H4/9003 wire harness is a decent low cost wire harness. Other companies make better quality wire harnesses that cost a bit more.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
djlambert

Do you know where the relay is located? I have a haynes repair book and it doesn't give location and the wiring diagram is hard to understand.
djlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The headlight relay should be in the fuse box under the hood. You need an upgraded headlight wire harness.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.