Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

head unit install

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  03Wrangler 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if and one has or knows of a write up to take the dashboard apart and install a head unit? Thanks.

#2 ·
Dashboard is simple. You pull the long piece out from the top of the dash where the defroster vents are. That pops up with a screwdriver. Then there are 3 screws that hold the black center console in, two on top of the console and one behind the ashtray (that pops out just by pressing the tongue down and pulling). It should pull right off. Then your factory stereo is held in by two screws.

Is the head unit you're installing an aftermarket? If so, you'll need a wiring harness. And after that, it's just color matching when you splice.

#3 ·
Dashboard is simple. You pull the long piece out from the top of the dash where the defroster vents are. That pops up with a screwdriver. Then there are 3 screws that hold the black center console in, two on top of the console and one behind the ashtray (that pops out just by pressing the tongue down and pulling). It should pull right off. Then your factory stereo is held in by two screws.

Is the head unit you're installing an aftermarket? If so, you'll need a wiring harness. And after that, it's just color matching when you splice.
PJL is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote
I had an aftermarmet head unit in mine already, I live down town in chicago and someone took it. A buddy of mine just recently bought a TJ and it came with a decent pioneer, he wants to take it out and put his alpine in from his pervious car. I'm going to buy the pioneer from him. I just hope it has a removable face plate.

I thought all head units that flip down to slide the cd in are removable, does anyone know if thats true?

#5 ·
No not all of them. Eclipse headunits like my 8445 do not have removeable faces and few would consider them cheapies. They have an electronic serial # which renders them useless if stolen and they give a sticker that mentions that and implies that they can be tracked. The ESN is just a file on a CD or memory stick or even just a chosen music CD that must be inserted after power is removed before the unit will do anything.

Sounds pretty nifty but do I wish it had a removable face? Yes.

#6 ·
Coyotes97 said:
No not all of them. Eclipse headunits like my 8445 do not have removeable faces and few would consider them cheapies. They have an electronic serial # which renders them useless if stolen and they give a sticker that mentions that and implies that they can be tracked. The ESN is just a file on a CD or memory stick or even just a chosen music CD that must be inserted after power is removed before the unit will do anything.

Sounds pretty nifty but do I wish it had a removable face? Yes.
yes yes i too have an eclipse head unit and would never change to any other brand now. I think there the best built head units around. I wouldnt consider them cheapies but yes generally if the face isn't removable its probably a cheapo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.