Having issues with wiring up lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Having issues with wiring up lights

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
ek5soccer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Having issues with wiring up lights

I am new to this, but took my factory fog lights and re wired them to a toggle switch. Since I was new I found and copied the wiring digram for KC lights. Have a 30amp switch with earth, load, supply. 40amp relay with 30, 85,86, 87 and 87a. with a pre made wire harness that goes to the relay. also 30 amp inline fuse. I pigtailed my lights together. grounds to ground then grounded them on the bolt next to my headlight ground. ran the pos. to pos then back to the 87 pos. i have a pos from 30 to the inline fuse then to the battery positive. 86 is ground and 85 is run to my switch which in by my driver side speaker. ran that ground to the speaker ground. (havent found a 12v source to tap into yet.) Ive pretty much ran into a brick wall, any advice or help would be much appreciated.

So any ideas about how to get my lights to turn on would be great. Also where/how i could get my 12v source for my switch.

ek5soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't use 87a. When the relay is energized. 87a is turned from ON to OFF and at the same time 87 is turn ON. Power both lamps from 87.

Use the body for a dedicated ground, don't use a speaker wire. Any 12 volt circuit that is switched on/off with the ignition key will work for the light switch connection.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
ek5soccer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Don't use 87a. When the relay is energized. 87a is turned from ON to OFF and at the same time 87 is turn ON. Power both lamps from 87. Use the body for a dedicated ground, don't use a speaker wire. Any 12 volt circuit that is switched on/off with the ignition key will work for the light switch connection.
Yea I'm not using 87a but do I need to do anything with that wire to close the circuit? I'm using the body where the speaker is ground. But how do i find one of those 12v source
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

87a doesn't need to be connected. If there is a wire lead on the relay socket, simply tape up the bare wire end.

Probe for 12 volts with the key on and off. A 12 volt bulbs and some wires will work, but a volts/ohms multi-meter is easier to use and will come in handy for all sorts of testing/repairs.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
ek5soccer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
87a doesn't need to be connected. If there is a wire lead on the relay socket, simply tape up the bare wire end. Probe for 12 volts with the key on and off. A 12 volt bulbs and some wires will work, but a volts/ohms multi-meter is easier to use and will come in handy for all sorts of testing/repairs.
Yeah got it figured out, now just need to decide how I want to pull my 12v switch power from. Any thoughts?
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any circuit will work. I would tap into the dash/console light wires. Near the 4x4 shifter should be easy to access. Then the fogs will only work (stay on) when the headlight switch is on.

Unread 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

cig. lighter, radio are two common easy points to pick up 12v for a switch to trigger a relay.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
ek5soccer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcranger View Post
cig. lighter, radio are two common easy points to pick up 12v for a switch to trigger a relay.
Yeah thats what ive been picking up on, I havent looked back there yet, but ive looked under the steering wheel there are a lot of wires. This being my first time I want to feel confident on what I do, so any instructions would be very helpful.
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

Easiest way to identify a wire is to use a wire schematic for your year and model. They will show you where they come from and go to as well as color. If you don't want to do that disassemble the dash to get to the back of cig lighter and splice in a wire off of the color wire on the cig lighter. Your library should have access to online manuals where you can find your wiring schematics for your vehicle.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.