Hardtop Wiring Harness Help (Please!)
So I got a great deal ($400, cash) on a very slightly used hardtop for my 97 TJ from the local dealer, and I bought the installation kit from Jeepsrus. I'm generally pretty handy with DIY stuff like this, but Murphy's law really bit me on this one. If anyone could help with the following problems I would really appreciate it.
1) Instructions call for inserting 4 wires with pre-installed terminations into the red 10-way connector in the bottom cavity of the 100-way connector behind the dash and under the steering column as follows:
- Black/White tracer wire into cavity #1
- Pink/White tracer wire into cavity #2
- Yellow wire into cavity #3
- Brown/Pink tracer wire into cavity #4
The problem is that the pins in the 100-way connector are set as follows:
- Black/White tracer wire at pin #1 (so far, so good)
- Looks like Brown/Pink tracer wire at pin #4 (still matches instructions)
- Brown/Green tracer wire at pin #5
- Purple/Pink tracer wire at pin #6
- All other pin locations are empty
2) Instructions call for removing the grey 12-way connector from the top cavity of the 100-way connector and then removing the red locking wedge. This locking doesn't want to come out, and it looks pretty fragile. Any tricks with this?
3) Instructions call for removing the passenger-side 10-way instrument panel cluster, disengaging the locking wedge and inserting additional wires. Like above, i can't seem to get the locking wedge out. I can just imagine trying to replace this part at the dealer's parts counter.
Other than that, and considering that nearly the entire dash has now been dis-assembled, things are going just swell.
One other question - the factory switch plate has plugs at all 3 locations. 2 will be replaced with the kit switches. The 3rd dummy plug actually has a wiring connector with 4 wires attached at the back with a molded connector which looks like it was designed to fit the factory fog light switch. Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.