Hardtop Wiring Harness Help (Please!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Hardtop Wiring Harness Help (Please!)

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
knudsenr

Hardtop Wiring Harness Help (Please!)

So I got a great deal ($400, cash) on a very slightly used hardtop for my 97 TJ from the local dealer, and I bought the installation kit from Jeepsrus. I'm generally pretty handy with DIY stuff like this, but Murphy's law really bit me on this one. If anyone could help with the following problems I would really appreciate it.

1) Instructions call for inserting 4 wires with pre-installed terminations into the red 10-way connector in the bottom cavity of the 100-way connector behind the dash and under the steering column as follows:
- Black/White tracer wire into cavity #1
- Pink/White tracer wire into cavity #2
- Yellow wire into cavity #3
- Brown/Pink tracer wire into cavity #4

The problem is that the pins in the 100-way connector are set as follows:
- Black/White tracer wire at pin #1 (so far, so good)
- Looks like Brown/Pink tracer wire at pin #4 (still matches instructions)
- Brown/Green tracer wire at pin #5
- Purple/Pink tracer wire at pin #6
- All other pin locations are empty

2) Instructions call for removing the grey 12-way connector from the top cavity of the 100-way connector and then removing the red locking wedge. This locking doesn't want to come out, and it looks pretty fragile. Any tricks with this?

3) Instructions call for removing the passenger-side 10-way instrument panel cluster, disengaging the locking wedge and inserting additional wires. Like above, i can't seem to get the locking wedge out. I can just imagine trying to replace this part at the dealer's parts counter.

Other than that, and considering that nearly the entire dash has now been dis-assembled, things are going just swell.

One other question - the factory switch plate has plugs at all 3 locations. 2 will be replaced with the kit switches. The 3rd dummy plug actually has a wiring connector with 4 wires attached at the back with a molded connector which looks like it was designed to fit the factory fog light switch. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Frustrated!

knudsenr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.