Ham radio and XM install thread with pics. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Ham radio and XM install thread with pics.

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
madrabbitt

Ham radio and XM install thread with pics.

Well, the ham radio finally got mounted where I wanted it permamantly, and i moved the XM down from the window where it was, replacing the car phone, so I figured i'd get pics and show everyone what I run.

First, heres an exterior shot showing all the antennas on 'er.
Dual band ham on the hood, VHF on the roof, Wilson cell on the rear corner, and scanner on the window.

Close up of the hood mounted antenna. Mount is a black Maxrad NMO Trunk lip mount (scored for 5 bucks from a radio shop thats not selling radio stuff anymore) with a Tram 1182 dual band gain antenna. The 1182 is actually tuned for the commercial 150 and 460 bands rather then the ham 140 and 440 bands... but its got a wide coverage range, so it covers ham as well. Tram sells the 1180 if you wanted ham specific coverage.

Roof mount VHF. Larsen branded 5 inch magnetic base with NMO, Larsen VHF-High wideband gain antenna. 3.2db gain on the center of the band. Cable runs to the back of the truck, into the hatch. PL259 to TNC adaptor, and it screws into the top of my Vertex VX-150 portable. Radio used to just clip onto the mount for the dualbander when it was installed on the side of the console, but now, it mostly just sits on the passenger seat. It was inside charging during the pics though.

Glass mounted scanner 25-1300mhz coverage antenna, and mini magnet roof mount Wilson dual band cellular gain antenna. The scanner antenna cable terminates under the console forward of the 4x4 shifter, as I used to have a vehicle mounted scanner covering the city that I used to work in. Sold the scanner since, but the antenna and cable is still there. While its rated to transmit up to 50 watts on either 140 or 440, it is a lousy antenna for a transmitter, and dont use it at all anymore. The cell antenna runs up to the top of the dash board, and its bundled up above the gauges, but can be run with the extension adaptor to my treo or whatever other phone is in the window mounted holder.

Last antenna picture is the XM antenna mounted on the roof in the rear of the truck.

Inside the truck, here is where the IC-208 radio body is installed under the rear seat by the jack. A flat cat5 cable for the mic, speaker cable, and head extension cable run up under the carpet to the front of the truck.

The speaker is mounted above the RV mirror on the keyless pod.

Control head is mounted on the center console right in front of the e-brake.

Further view shows the 208 control head and the XM radio now mounted on the console.

Continued...

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
madrabbitt

Mic is using an existing metal hang up clip on the console.

The flat cat5 runs up under the right side of the console, and terminates in a female/female coupler jack. I intend on eventually making a square hole in the console, and flat mounting the jack.

I keep the DTMF mic in the center console storage, and can quickly swap it out if i need advanced programming on the radio, or DTMF control of a repeater for autopatch or something.

In the future, i'm going to drill 3 NMO holes in the roof... when i drop the headliner to re-cover the fabric. One will be in the dead center, and be used like the existing mag mount is now, for the portable. The other two would be side by side closer to the rear. One for a NMO wilson cellular antenna, replacing the mag mount, and one would be an active GPS antenna for when i'm going to mount the laptop.

I am seriously considering getting a VHF radio, maybe 25 watter, and mounting it in the rear of the truck with fire, sar, medevac channels, plus the local ham repeater networks. I dont actively work in EMS or SAR anymore, but emergencies do happen, and i occasionally work ARES events, or at least lend them the truck, so a radio in the back would work really well... Plus camping and stuff, it be nice not to have to be in the front of the truck to use the radio.

So. Comments?

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 01-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
madrabbitt

Ironically... just re-located the XM head again... New picture in the AM

Unread 01-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It looks really sharp debadged. I like it without graphics. It just makes me want to totally debadge mine as I have been thinking about since you looked at the blue XJ last year.

I like how you have everything mounted, user friendly and out of the way. I cant wait for you to get this smart siren and clean up the rest of everything.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
madrabbitt

which blue one did i look at last year? the 01 limited?

and you do realize by the time i get the smart siren... i wont really need it, right?

Unread 01-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had been wondering about that are you still going to want it?
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.