GPS offroad navigation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > GPS offroad navigation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
CoiledYJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

GPS offroad navigation

Just wondering what you guys are using for offroad navigation?!

CoiledYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garmin 60CSx. It can provide on-road automatic routing (with optional software) to addresses/points of interest but more importantly, it has all the offroad functions you could possibly want. It's waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
Road atlas, Topo maps, Compass. GPS can fail, maps don't.
Sounds like you should switch back to a horse & buggy then. Your Cherokee's onboard computer or ignition can fail, horses and buggies don't. And having spent 40+ years using maps, topo maps, and compasses, I'll take my GPS any day over them.
garmin.jpeg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garmin 205nuvi (on road GPS but works fairly well off road).....keeps track of where I'v been and where I'm going

Only thing I do not like is that there is no elevations....but thats why I only wheel known land, or with a topo map

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Garmin 60CSx. It can provide on-road automatic routing (with optional software) to addresses/points of interest but more importantly, it has all the offroad functions you could possibly want. It's waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof.
I have this unit, it is awesome! I used to use a simple eTrex but every time I was under heavy tree canopies, I would lose my signal. Since I upgraded to the 60CSx, I have never lost a satellite signal while off-roading. The 60CSx is the GPS of choice, for many of the "search and rescue" volunteers here in the Pacific Northwest.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Garmin 205nuvi (on road GPS but works fairly well off road).....keeps track of where I'v been and where I'm going
I have used my Nuvi offroad too and it's fine for most needs but what it lacks is the ability to permanently store and name trails you have been on like the 60CSx can do easily.

Unread 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Several posts here aren't helpful at all guys, let's stay on topic.

Unread 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Look at his frigging subject title people. "GPS offroad navigation". He asked for help on how to pick out a good GPS. He didn't ask for frigging life skill lessons.

Let's keep this topic on his GPS questions... not how to use the frigging mud tracks, stars and planets, etc. for how not to get lost.

I'm gonna start deleting the non-helpful stuff out if I need to so this thread can get back to what he frigging asked for help on.

Unread 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
One more thing I like about the 60CSx, when I use it for on road navigation - it beeps, rather than prompting by voice. I tend to find voice prompts, irritating at times.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVExpo View Post
Just wondering what you guys are using for offroad navigation?!
I use a Garmin etrex legend, I just got a tom tom, never used it off-road. I also use maps and compasses and my God given senses.

Anything can fail and you should have some sort of back up, this is the same reason I would recommend carrying a spare tire.

This is what I recommend even though other may disagree.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
One more thing I like about the 60CSx, when I use it for on road navigation - it beeps, rather than prompting by voice. I tend to find voice prompts, irritating at times.
That's a good point, I'd rather have my 60CSx simply beep to announce an upcoming turn than hear my Nuvi give me a bunch of irritating voice instructions. Only once in a while do I want voice instructions when I am in my car and using the Nuvi. I normally keep it muted unless I'm using the Nuvi's Bluetooth speakerphone for my cell phone.

Unread 08-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am running an old Garmin V in my Jeep. No color display or fancy stuff but it works.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I have used my Nuvi offroad too and it's fine for most needs but what it lacks is the ability to permanently store and name trails you have been on like the 60CSx can do easily.
Thats a good point, and the only thing that I really hate about it.

However you can load POIs into it, so I can name trail heads but cant highlight actual trails.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
XJTino
1979 J-Series Truck 

I use the MotionX GPS App for my iPhone. It's only $3 and does a lot. You can cache maps onto the phone to use when out of service (pretty much the only time I use it). I cache the entire area I plan on being in and can choose which zoom levels to cache.

My favorite part is being able to record tracks. I can record a trail I just did, and it's saved there for finding/running it again. Plus you can upload the tracks as .gpx files for viewing on Google Earth and such.

However it doesn't have a turn by turn directions to get from point A to point B. And being an iPhone, the GPS isn't quite as accurate as GPS-only units but still very close.

For someone that already has an iPhone, I would strongly recommend going this route. Why pay $200+ for a GPS when you pretty much already have one? I know there are similar apps out there for Android and other OS' too.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought."[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]okee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('92 XJ)
then I wrecked him...
So Then...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]r[/COLOR]okee[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('93 XJ)
then I rolled him...
Now...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I drive [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"] Clifford[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('79 J-20)
XJTino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJTino View Post
I use the MotionX GPS App for my iPhone. It's only $3 and does a lot. You can cache maps onto the phone to use when out of service (pretty much the only time I use it). I cache the entire area I plan on being in and can choose which zoom levels to cache.

My favorite part is being able to record tracks. I can record a trail I just did, and it's saved there for finding/running it again. Plus you can upload the tracks as .gpx files for viewing on Google Earth and such.

However it doesn't have a turn by turn directions to get from point A to point B. And being an iPhone, the GPS isn't quite as accurate as GPS-only units but still very close.

For someone that already has an iPhone, I would strongly recommend going this route. Why pay $200+ for a GPS when you pretty much already have one? I know there are similar apps out there for Android and other OS' too.

If this happens does the GPS still work in a cell phone?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
CoiledYJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody any experience with the more beginner model garmin nuvi 1100? A guy at work ordered a bunch of them and sells em for only 75 bucks, so I am thinking about it. I think the only options I really want is to search via longitude and altitude, since some jeepers post trails that way and maybe being able to store trails. Last trail i was on, I was not able to get any phone reception....
CoiledYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.