GPS base maps - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MojaveMike45

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

Thumbs up GPS base maps

OK, gonna weigh in on this again as the key to navigating is all about the base map. Off roading throughout Mojave Desert & Panamint Valley (adjacent to Death). Most all the proprietary base maps bundled with the hand held units really suck, they miss a lot of trails, single track, and abandoned 2 track. BackCountry Navigator has lots of down loadable 3rd party base maps & sat views for your phone or tablet. I usually download USA Forest Service, Sat Imagery, US Topo with Accuterra, and Cal Topo with Accuterra. The gps tracking/location android software is cheap $5 and the maps free or $20 for Accuterra enhanced. They say that a iPhone Version coming soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2017, 12:19 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

@MojaveMike45 There are so many maps available for Back Country Navigator that I don't know which to download. Any specific map recommendations for Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Barstow/Calico, and Anza Borrego and Split Mountain areas?

Some are $20 annually which I'm not paying. A one-time payment is fine.

Solely interested in offroad Jeep trail info on the maps. There is usually zero cell coverage where I wheel so it's important they work offline.

Thanks.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

I like the AccuTerra single layer and Caltopo with AccuTerra $20 for both, down load the areas you like and you don't have to resubscribe the next year cause they are on your device, all good until you get another device. Good freebees are US Topo Imagery with Markup & USA Topo maps-ArcGis, USGS Color Aerials and more. Play around with the freebees to see what you like, the paid versions add more details and and info such as naming of trail, road, abandoned mines, historical sites, etc.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

Forgot to mention, when you pay for the downloads, you can use them on any device with your email, for example, I have downloaded maps on my phone, 8"pad & 11" pad. Of course the BCN program also resides on all of the devices for the original $5. Now things as of 2017 are getting interestings re BCN as the development team must not be making $$$ or enough of it as they are transitioning to a $20 annual subscription fee for everything. But included will be the ability to run the program on a pc and to pre plan trips. I have followed some of the drama from their website.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

@MojaveMike45 Good information thanks. Any specific download recommendations for the areas I mentioned I was seeking above? Some maps and downloads sound too much alike. I figured you'd know since you're in SOCAL too.

Ideally the maps I want would already have trails shown with their age-old names they're known by like Sledgehammer, Wrecking Ball, John Bull, Doran Canyon, etc.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-21-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

Lots of trade offs on the various maps and what you would be using them for and the size of your viewing device. A highly detailed map on a phone is very difficult unless you zoom way in losing all the surroundings. If I am on a motorcycle using a phone the Accuterra single layer is most usable, sometimes followed by a Sat map, but if a Jeep I may use the topo maps to ferret out local mines, monuments, etc. As far as historical names probably any of the USFS maps would be best, but I cannot really vouch for that.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-21-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

Jerry, this is really the first time I have had the time to really explore this forum as I am a recent member coming from a LR (Land Rover) forum, please don't flame me. Finally all the pain & suffering is behind me after getting rid of my pos Disco. In looking back thru the forum, I see that you have been using gps off road for some time as I have, casual readers please realize that off road gps is very different from on road. I have been thru all the big name units including some more obscure such as DeLorme (it had a good pc interface). My observations have been that a small screen, dedicated, gps unit is going the way of the dinosaurs, don't buy stock in any of them. Any cheap *** android tablet is a whole lot more powerful, larger, more useful, easier reading, with ability to use all standard tablet apps, etc. and so cheap you don't worry about trashing them. Generally, the battery life has been 72+ hours (unplugged with screen off after 1 min, but gps always on) for half a dozen cheapos I have tried as they have no battery killing phone apps constantly trying to connect to cell towers when you are in the middle of nowhere. Does not matter how many wonderful devices you have. What is the nav app you will always use??? The one that is with you in your pocket, or if larger screen needed in your backpack or Jeep. Using BackCountry Nav for software but have seen at least one other mentioned. BCN sez they are migrating to a pc, android, apple capable version with ability to download any ol maps you are using in a few months. Finally, don't know if we can tout brand names here other than "JEEP", but the best cheap tab I bought is a 8" ZTE K88 Trek 2, nice size, good screen, gps of course, magnetic compass (important if your are not moving), expandable mem, and phone (you would have to use your existing phone sim card or get another line) running Android 6 for $59 on line from somewhere.
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 10:07 AM
fursphere
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Is there an 'easy' way to bulk download a lot of maps in Back Country Navigator? I've got Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, and I added a 64gb mSD card just for maps (I could easily jump to 128 gb if I needed it). But it just seems tedious to download all the various maps I might want.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1993 Jeep Cherokee
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

No ez way, but then again not too hard either. I usually select and download 16 by 16 mi areas for 2 or 3 maps ie AccuTerra single layer for ez navigating on the fly, CalTopo with AccuTerra for much more detail, and maybe a satellite layer. Takes less than 10 min per download-Spectrum or ATT cables.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

Oh, the maps don't take up much any space, I have 32 gig card and lots of Mojave, Panamint, & Frazer Park maps - used 4 gig.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

BCN has a new program under development, Google for BackCountry Navigator XE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.