got an Idea need other opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > got an Idea need other opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
WVmountaineer

got an Idea need other opinions

ok so I was thinking about putting in a sounds system, 2 speakers and an amp into my jeep that was designed for wake boarding boats, because it would be louder for when I have my top off and would be water proof, besides it being an easy steal out of my soft top jeep, any other reasons this would be a bad idea?

WVmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
03Wrangler

not water-proof... just corrosion resistant...

when electric (sound) goes through the speakers and water hits it, it will short out and ruin your speaker... there are no speakers made to be 100% waterproof (that i am aware of)
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop used to make a soundbar that was similar to the wakeboard tubbies. The thing is, the soundbar location is only good for blasting directly into your ears. You won't get any sound quality but you'll probably get a headache. A mopar soundbar or the vdp one with decent speakers added is the best set-up. You really don't need to amp them, spend your money on better dash speakers and a better amp for them. Having the music in front of your ears will actually sound louder in the long run. But if you already have the wakeboard tubbies then try to make it work, some people on here have made their own soundbar set-ups. Take a lot of pics if you do.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've never heard of amps being designed for wakeboard boats so they could be louder When my top is off my system is significantly louder, the speakers anyway, not so much the subs.
Are you referring to Wetsounds speakers? Those are loud, but honestly get a regular coax, I've had mine in my doors for two years now without any water issues. If I remember right those speakers aren't cheap either...My amps get minor moisture on them but nothing to kill them. Insulate around everything if you can and you'll be alright

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.