Good subwoofer to replace stock. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Good subwoofer to replace stock.

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
jreuscher

Good subwoofer to replace stock.

Ok, I blew the stock subwoofer on my TJ. Probably got rained on, who knows. I'm not into the whole boom, boom rap stuff. I just want to replace it without paying $280 to the dealer.

Any suggestions? My main criteria is that it fits in the console without modification and it doesn't make my TJ sound like some high schooler. (Sorry, but high school was a looong time ago!)

Thanks,

Jeff

4 wheel disc brakes
31 x 10.5 Dayton Timberline A/T, with 15 inch Canyons
jreuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

6 3/4" is your stock size, which is a crappy odd size, IMO. You can get a decent sub at that size for around $100 or less. Better off going up to an 8", but that's just my opinion again.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
SirGCal

Honestly; if you want it to fit into the console WITHOUT modifications, your only choice is to get another stock replacement. Hit up ebay.

Otherwise you can build a box for the console for an 8" and add a new amp (reqired) or some other setup like in-seat or behind-seat.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
jreuscher

Uggh! I was hoping that someone would say "brand X 4x4 has a great for less than 100 bucks"

What is it with manufacturers and non-standard audio components.

Thanks to both of you for your help
4 wheel disc brakes
31 x 10.5 Dayton Timberline A/T, with 15 inch Canyons
jreuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

JL Audio or Kicker are the only ones I'd consider (I have an 8" Kicker in my console - Tuffy).
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
Wakeboarder06

I have a stock sub/amp from my 03 TJ that I just took out so that I could build a custom enclosure in there. PM if interested.
[url]www.nissanforums.com[/url] (for the pathfinder)
[url]www.nissanclub.com[/url] (for the Altima)
Custom sub enclosure [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365697[/url]
Wakeboarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.