good places to run grounds + put relays for lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > good places to run grounds + put relays for lights

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 12-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
jrodum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

good places to run grounds + put relays for lights

i was wondering where are some good places to run the ground for the foglights and the best place to put the relay.

01 TJ, 5.3L LM4 4l60e lokar shifter, np241C with JB conversions SYE, Carolina Driveline F+R driveshafts, taurus fan + griffin radiator, 33" Destinations, D30 ballistic brackets + 8.8 + MAD brackets, SOLID diffs, 3.5" RE lift discos + CAs ,1" BL, magnaflow muffler Panasonic reciever, Infinity speakers / Tweeters, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8's, Herc'd grill and tub, LOD rockers, Hella fogs, LOD front shorty bumper w/custom tube, Rear Bumper/ Tire Carrier + LOD frame tie-in bracket, Warn xd9000i
jrodum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Los

I got tired of looking for screws to ground my many ground leads so I brought in battery power and battery ground into the cab. I used 10ga. cable and hooked up the power to a fuse block. I put a ring terminal on the ground and used an existing screw to ground it to the cab.

You could probably ground to most screws in the cab, but I wanted a good clean ground back to the battery. BTW if you bring power into the cab, you'll want to fuse it as close as you can to the battery using the appropriate fuse rating for that wire/cable.
Unread 12-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Running a separate circuit to the cab for all of the connections is a good idea for all of your in cab connections but there is no need to run your light ground wires back there.

Some where next to the battery install a ground stud, you should be able to find one at the local automotive store; run all of your ground wire to this point.

You will need to have two wire to each of your lights, if no ground wire is there you need to add one to the housing or ground point inside the light.

This method reduces bad ground connections due to rusting and corrosion.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
jrodum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys. anyone got pics of setup under the hood?
01 TJ, 5.3L LM4 4l60e lokar shifter, np241C with JB conversions SYE, Carolina Driveline F+R driveshafts, taurus fan + griffin radiator, 33" Destinations, D30 ballistic brackets + 8.8 + MAD brackets, SOLID diffs, 3.5" RE lift discos + CAs ,1" BL, magnaflow muffler Panasonic reciever, Infinity speakers / Tweeters, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8's, Herc'd grill and tub, LOD rockers, Hella fogs, LOD front shorty bumper w/custom tube, Rear Bumper/ Tire Carrier + LOD frame tie-in bracket, Warn xd9000i
jrodum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.