going down... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > going down...

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-12-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

going down...

im gonna build my box for downfiring subs and am wondering about how much room i need between the sub and the floor? Also do i need to seal that bottom area underneath or just make it raised up and allow air to travel freely underneath? I was thinking about 2.5 inches uder the sub and the subs have 2 in. excursion. Help please im plannin on building the box tommorrow.

Unread 10-15-2001, 05:32 PM   #2
mytjnamedrex

willis91yj or rfwrangler.....your help is needed b4 i mess this up. Thanx
Unread 10-15-2001, 06:05 PM   #3
RFWrangler

Guess its a good thing i popped in tonight then huh? Ok so you want to do what I did and set up a pair downfiring in the seat bottom right? I have about 3 or 4 inches between my subs and floor. its not the ideal height , but it works. Idealy speaking, the magic number for downfiring subs is the distance between the floor and the cone should be half the diameter of the cone. for example, if i were going to run a 12" sub (which I am) the ideal distance between the sub and the floor would be 6". But the three or 4 I am using sounds fine. You don't need to seal off that bottom area, in fact DON'T DO IT!!!! What I did was use the factory seat mounts. I dont know if they are the same in a TJ, but in my YJ they are two things in the front and those pegs that screw into the rear. I built the box, then took off the factory seat vinyl, and cut it to fit the box. I also carpeted the bottom. I used plumbers tape (that flexible metal strip with the holes in it) to attach it to the seat mounts the same way the factory one was mounted. If you want to wait, I'll tilt up my seat tomorow and get shots on all sides. and if ya have anymore q's ask away. heres that shot of mine again.

and you can see the rest hereMy YJ Install
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2001, 09:41 PM   #4
mytjnamedrex

ok ive put the box on hold till this weekend. I already have the back seat out and really dont need it anyways due to the fact that its illegal to have more than 1 person in my car(just turned 16 mid july and it kicked in july 1st)due to the graduated liscence here in TN. So what im saying is ive got the room. What i was thinkin of doing would in my opinion be awesome. Id have 4 cerwin vegas and 2 of em downfiring in the back and 2 forward firing into the front passenger seats. I could have one big box and design an amp rack on top w/ a 4-channel for the subs in back facing horizontal and another 4-channel for my soundwedges/mod pods going vertical toward the front and also my 2 channel RF amp for my soundbar in the top left corner of the box. I can set up distribution blocks under the top and just have my 2 caps and 3 amps visible by recessing them like u did. Ive done alot of other systems for people but ive only done a few in wranglers so i havent been able to get this creative. I really have always used sealed boxes either facing up/back/or down. Sorry its so long but im venting my ideas....thanx again for the help also you say not to seal it... I was thinking to have legs extending the box up all the way around so it would be sealed with the exeption of the bottom(floor) am i wrong?? Thanx again and i still havent heard WIllis91yj's proposal but hes already helped me out with my stereo.
Unread 10-15-2001, 10:15 PM   #5
RFWrangler

I'm sorry, I miss read your question, I thought you were talking about sealing the space between the bottom of your box and the floor. yes by all means seal your box. Have you checked out the other Wranglers at Sound domain yet? I got some of my ideas from there. heres a direct link to the Jeep search Jeeps search @ Sound domain Also, when you go to get into it and want help with the wiring and major aspects, come on over to the car sound board I am a member of, I have the same name over there and there are lots of certified installers there. Car Sound Discussion Board

Now then, if I get what you mean, you want a pari of subs in the seat bottom like mine, but you also want a pair firing at the front seats, where do you want those mounted? or where were you thinking about mounting them? I have seen a few different things done in that regard. Also might I recomend the Aura Bass Shakers mounted under your front seats directly to the metal springs in the seat. Thats what I did and I am very happy with the results of that. I'm gonna take more pics tomorow afternoon so you can see more of what I did. I am now realizing I forgot to take pics of a couple of things I did that are unique. But let me know, and like I sadi, you should pop inover at Car Sound too.
Peace bro. talk to you soon
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Unread 10-15-2001, 11:12 PM   #6
Willis91YJ

Hey Rex,
I'm thinkin, I'll post something in-depth before the weekend. Just a quickie... you don't want two facing the seats (front), you need the sound to reverb off of something before it gets to you. I'll get back
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 12:02 AM   #7
RFWrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by Willis91YJ:
Hey Rex,
I'm thinkin, I'll post something in-depth before the weekend. Just a quickie... you don't want two facing the seats (front), you need the sound to reverb off of something before it gets to you. I'll get back
Willis
Thats an excellent point. a common observation over on Car sound is that subs generally tend to hit harder when aimed toward the rear of a vehicle as the sound waves have something to bounce back off of, thus allowing them to develop fully.
Unread 10-16-2001, 07:02 PM   #8
mytjnamedrex

thanx guys i was thinkin that also but what bout when el topo is off? should i go 4 downfiring and leave it at that?
Unread 10-16-2001, 07:54 PM   #9
RFWrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by mytjnamedrex:
thanx guys i was thinkin that also but what bout when el topo is off? should i go 4 downfiring and leave it at that?
Ummm, 4?? what size subs are you intending to run? I barely made the room for my two twelves back there. But in all honesty, the two twelves do VERY well on their own with the top odwn and doors off. I got it metered when I first put em in. It hit a 146.5 topless and doorless. Suprised the hell outta me. I don't even think you could get away with 4 8's up under there, unless you want to chew up the rest of your cargo space that is I would have taken more pics today but its been raining here all day, hope fully I will get a chance to do that tommorow. But as long as you fire em at the floor, it will hit regardless of whther the top is on or not, this is due to the fact that the subs are firing directly into the tub, so the bass hits it dead on, sending the vibrations reverberating through the whole vehicle.
Unread 10-16-2001, 08:44 PM   #10
mytjnamedrex

Well i have the back seat out and today to mess around i dropped in a bandpass box with 2 12's and 1000watts which brought the grand total to 4 12's and it bumped hard! could i get away with two cerwin vega hed's(400watt each) or 4 of em?? I want bass but i dont wanna hit overkill. With 4 in there today it was awesome!! Thanx again for the quick reply.
Unread 10-16-2001, 10:00 PM   #11
RFWrangler

No sweat on the quick reply, but I need to ask you several questions here.
1. What size, brand, and model subs are we talking here?
2. Specs on those amps.
3. Do you want a backseat left when your done with this?
4. Do you want everything to be stealth for security?
5. Do you want to do what I did and build a backseat around your subs?
6. Do you have the spec sheets for your subs detailing the airspace reqs?
7. Do you want to build the box or use prefabed?
8. Are you talking about running four seperate monoblock amps?
Thats about all I can think oif at the moment, answer those for me and we will go from there.
Of course, if you want to you could go this X-treme..............

Unread 10-17-2001, 03:28 PM   #12
mytjnamedrex

i read ur last post and i dont need that much.......i think but i will get all the specs and post em tommorrow i only got on to check some things and really dont have time to day but specs will be on tommorrow. what i can say is that i have 2 visonik 12's. DVC powered by a legacy 1200 watt amp. I blew the audiobahns and for the money i got for the amp i picked up this setup with money to spare. I actualy works very well right now but it doesnt look good and i want a lil more bass.
Unread 10-17-2001, 05:27 PM   #13
RFWrangler

Legacy??? it may say 1200watts but its probably putting out around 400 if that. as for the subs, if you want to run 4 I strongly suggest you run the same ones, otherwise you will more than likely notice a difference in sound and performance, same goes for the amp.
Unread 10-18-2001, 07:02 PM   #14
mytjnamedrex

hmm well what would you suggest then? I have bought 350 to spend on subs but was offered 250 for my amp and subs so what can i do for 600? i will be building the box myself so lets say 550 and i would like to keep the back seat. Im thinking 3 JL 12's with 2 downfiring like yours and one forward firing in the back and mount amps in the box next to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.