Getting an AUX jack to work through CD Changer Port w/o CD changer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Getting an AUX jack to work through CD Changer Port w/o CD changer

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

Getting an AUX jack to work through CD Changer Port w/o CD changer

I have been posting in the WJ forums about this, but figured this section may have more people who know what to do.

I have been trying to add an AUX port to my '04 GC.

In this thread, there is a way to do it by tapping into pins 1 and 6 on the CD changer harness.

I do not have the harness or a CD Changer, but I have found a way to connect the wires to those two pins 1 and 6 (audio in left and right).

Anway, I have connected pins 1 and 6 to the left and right outputs of a 3.5mm phone jack. I have also connected pin 2 (ground) to the ground of the jack.

However, when I turn on the radio, it will not switch to the CD changer mode pushing the Mode button. I have made sure the mp3 player was playing while doing this so that there would be an audio signal on the wiring, but apparently the radio does not have the capability of detecting audio signal coming in to it's audio in pins.

Does anyone know how I can trick the radio into thinking there is a CD changer, or to make it 'aware' that there is an audio signal coming in to the audio in pins so that it will switch over to the 'CD changer' setting?

In viewing the pinout diagram from WJjeeps.com (posted below), the only thing I can think of is that maybe it needs a signal on the PCI bus?

would jumping pin 14 on the radio harness to pin 4 on the CD changer pins do this? I don't want to destroy the radio or short something out or anything.

Any help is appreciated!

steelstr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
TXjeepTJ

that should do it at it seems everything else is just used to power up the cd changer. Maybe one of the grounds might need to be connected.

It would help if I could see a true wiring diagram of how it communicates, I have a TJ manual and TJ's didn't come with cd changers lol (I just checked) Good luck
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ View Post
that should do it at it seems everything else is just used to power up the cd changer. Maybe one of the grounds might need to be connected.

It would help if I could see a true wiring diagram of how it communicates, I have a TJ manual and TJ's didn't come with cd changers lol (I just checked) Good luck
Thanks for responding. I don't know what else to do. I looked for a good wiring diagram, but didn't find anything that was any good.

I'll try like you suggested and connect both ground pins to ground and see what happens.
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

Just an update, I tried connecting both grounds, but no change. the mode button just does nothing but switch to my regular CD player when I have a CD in it. But it just won't sense that there's audio coming though on the CD changer channel.

There's got to be some really easy way it detects audio.....
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

ok, so in looking at the wiring diagrams I found on wjjeeps.com, the only thing that seems to make any sense is the PCI bus pin. On both the radio pinout, and the CD changer pin out, both seem to go a "diagnostic junction port' (which I have no idea what that is).

I don't know if I'm reading them wrong or what, but I'm wondering if making a little jumper wire that goes from the empty CD changer pin (pci bus pin), to the wire on the radio harness that is also a PCI bus pin, if that would accomplish the same thing as the factory wiring would.

Since I have no idea what this would do, and I don't want to catch the car on fire or destroy the radio, I'm hoping some of you would know what to do.

Here's the diagrams from WJjeeps.com:

I appreciate any help!
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
gildo4realdo

BUMP!

I need to know the same exact thing since I'd also like to turn the CD changer inputs into an aux jack.
gildo4realdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

you don't have a pci signal coming from the changer to the radio. See what most of the guys are doing is splicing into the harness. There interrupting the audio signal from the changer, but not the data signal. you have no data signal. no you cant trick the head unit that im aware of. Most likely you will need a changer and harness because with out the data signal (track number, disc number ect, ect,) the radio will never see any thing there. Your only other choice is to buy the ipod/mp3 adapter that connects there.

I have been considering taking mine out of my jeep as i never use it. If one of you guys is interested in buying a set up let me know and ill look into what it will take to pull the harness. That will be the hard part.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Still nothing new here?
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
steelstr45
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentedvw View Post
Still nothing new here?
Nope. I've pretty much given up on it and just got an FM transmitter instead.
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

I'm about to find out if it's possible to splice sound Inputs into a stereo just before the volume controls so possibly just before the line to the amp. I think this is how the ones on eBay are done.
jonifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
dangersahead82

Old thread but what if I have the changer anr harness but get error with any cd
dangersahead82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.