Gauge cluster mystery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Gauge cluster mystery

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
tealo951
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gauge cluster mystery

Hey all,
I have a 98 6cyl TJ, and it's been having some issues.

It started when my battery drained and then wouldn't charge, but I figured that was due to inactivity (I joined the marine corps and my cb radio continually drew power, which I changed)

After a new battery was installed, the computer had to relearn everything, it wouldn't pass emotions right off the bat due to lack of info.

Well, while my dad has been driving it to let the computer learn, the gauge cluster starts acting up and doing weird stuff.

It does it while driving. First the airbag light comes on, most of the time. Then the tac and speedometer go to zero. Sometimes shift arrow comes on and stays on. Then the tac may come on, and maybe the speed. But only after the airbag light goes off. Then all may work normally for up to 30 minutes or so. Then speed may go off, and maybe tac also, maybe not. All while driving normally.

Tried to give enough info to hopefully figure this out. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ooh-Rah

Unread 10-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

did you check all your fuses?
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
tealo951
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmel17
did you check all your fuses?
Yes I did. More then once. All good.
Unread 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

try cleaning the connector to the gauges. I did that and replaced the fuse when mine went crazy a few years back. Hasn't done it since.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
tealo951
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmel17
try cleaning the connector to the gauges. I did that and replaced the fuse when mine went crazy a few years back. Hasn't done it since.
Okay I'll do that. Thanks y'all

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.