Galaxy 88 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2003, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Galaxy 88

I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy 88 tommorow, thursday, but i'm a bit cautious. It is used from a guy near me as a base station with a power supply. Unfortanatly the guy had it peaked and tuned. Other than that it sounds like a good deal. It's $300 with a D104 mic and 35 amp power supply. What do you cb guru's think of the deal.

Matt

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2003, 02:29 PM
TJ2KSmitty
Trustee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy 88 tommorow, thursday, but i'm a bit cautious. It is used from a guy near me as a base station with a power supply. Unfortanatly the guy had it peaked and tuned. Other than that it sounds like a good deal. It's $300 with a D104 mic and 35 amp power supply. What do you cb guru's think of the deal.

Matt
What is wrong with having a radio peaked and tuned? That should be another selling point. It means you'll have better reception and more power to "get out" with. If you know the guy and the radio works, it sounds like you have a great deal on your hands. You can also tell how old the radio is by the tag on the back of the radio. All galaxy's have them. At least he can't lie about how old it is.

Sounds like you have a great deal. Good luck, and I hope to hear ya in there.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2003, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Well sure, a peaked radio is great for getting range, but it overloads the transitors and shortens the lifespan of the radio. If this guy has been using it for a while at a to high of a wattage, it could last me a year or two till they burn out. I don't need power anyway, I got a low drive kicker, so four watts is all I need.

Matt

Matt

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2003, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Got the radio today. It was a good deal, like I said earlier I wish he didn't modify it. He had the modulation cranked all the way up, power was up to about 15, which is fine and the talk back was so low I could barely hear it. Other than that which will be correct later today, I'm pleased with the radio. May not be the best thing for a trail rig, but for the CBers, it's a nice big radio.
The Mic was also modified, kinda neat though, it has three switches, ETS PAD and VOX. Now this is a desktop mic, not a handheld, so vox is pretty cool, ets is just another roger beep, but I don't know what the PAD is.
The power supply is also a good buy, not one of those small cheapo pices of junk.
Oh, by the way SwampBoy, I still have your radio, I'm gonna use that as my base now with the kicker. That thing is great.

Matt

Matt

Last edited by MSHarnett; 08-29-2003 at 06:20 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Kraw

I guess the mic was worth alot? I know tuning isn't too much.

a new 88 is $340 http://www.cbsattheirbest.com/cbradios.html so 300, tuned, with stuff, is nice!

I have a 44, tuned/peaked 22watts w/ 3/4watt deadkey, a few toys, etc etc that has a fired freq board That was a great radio when I had my Silver Eagle 350!

If I didnt have a TJ, I would get it fixed and use it.

one of my buds in college had an 88 with an add on modulator and a Tx 800 with big ol' caps in it. That sucker would do odd things to nearby electrical devices

Had an 02 TJ
Have a 13 JK on order in Commando Green
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2003, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I took my older radio that I bought off this forum and am using it as my base. I have it inline with the galaxy kicker and boy does it push the power. My tv and phone lines are useless when I'm txing. So far no nrighbors have complained, but it should take long before I hear about it. I'm thinking of getting a beam antenna now. Shoot skip out west and down south.

Matt

Matt
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2003, 07:55 AM
happyjeep

Gee, I didn't realize this was a forum for discussing illegal activities.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2003, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Ummm, officer, I had no idea that my illegal kicker is illegal, haha. For that matter, the big radios are also illegal, technically.
Well, just as I thought, it didn't take long for my neighbors to figure out that was me talking in their TV's. Yesterday one of them asked me about it. I guess I have to turn it down. I guess I'll put the kick back in the Jeep so I don't get caught. Much harder to catch a moving target.

Matt

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.