Fusing Plugin Jumper Cables? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Fusing Plugin Jumper Cables?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 08-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
WaldenL
2009 JK Wrangler 

Fusing Plugin Jumper Cables?

I'm considering adding a plug-in style set of jumper cables to my jeep. I'd build my own, but something like Jumper Cables - Quick Disconnect is what I'm talking about.

I'd mount the plug on the outside of the jeep, maybe front bumper, not under hood. But, if the lines aren't fused that's a decent run w/out a fuse, and then they're just sitting there. Even covered that concerns me. Do you fuse things like this? Is there a 600Amp fuse? What would the point be?

I guess it's similar to running power to a winch, but at least in that case the cables are always connected to something.

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, there are 600 amp fuses but they aren't small in terms of size (or price). A typical 600 amp fuse measures over 10" long and about 2 1/2" diameter. Then there is the fuse block which would measure over a foot long and stand 4" to 5" high.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
mylt1

you dont need a fuse. you can buy the kits or make your own. i plan on doing this at some point but just havent gotten around to it.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Death_Valley_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would agree that they don't need to be fused. However, extreme care should be taken to secure and protect all parts of the wire and connectors. Secure the wire and add extra insulation anyplace there may be rubbing or chafing. If the connectors are not sufficiently covered they can corrode or get packed with mud and leak voltage to ground slowly draining your battery.

Good luck.

DVTJ
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

1) Most kits that I've seen offered aren't fused. I make them - and I'll fuse them if you like.

2) The Anderson connectors (that's what are typically used) are quite rugged. I've run them over with my truck before without any significant ill effect.

3) Note that you can use the Anderson-style connector to connect various accessories as well. I can get SB175 (for 175A housing - medium) connectors to accept anywhere between 4AWG and 0AWG wire, and SB50 (for 50A housing - small) to accept something like 10AWG-4AWG.

And, I also have PowerPole connectors in 30 and 45A, which can be ganged into whatever configuration you want. I'll sell those as kits, but I prefer to terminate the SB series myself, since they take a fairly heavy crimp and I want to make sure it's done right (I have tooling to do it correctly, left over from when I was an industrial mechanic.)

In fact, I recently did a custom kit for a fellow (on this board, I think) for dual batteries, isolator, winch wiring, booster cables, SB175 on the front bumper, and I think he's still thinking about adding an SB50 for low-draw accessories later - it's entirely up to him, and I'll do it if he wants me to.

ANL fuses (which I typically use for high-current loads) are rugged little numbers, and are available up to 600A with a little looking. I'd probably stop at 200A for fusing booster cables, tho, unless you make a habit of jumping Diesels. Most gasoline engines top out at 200A or so cranking current, and you want to give it a minute or two to charge the battery before you try to crank the started vehicle anyhow. I have, so far, sourced fuses up to ANL350. I've seen them up to 600A, and I can probably order them, but it does get spendy up past 200-250A. Hit me backchannel if you want to discuss this further - JeepI6Power AT yahoo DOT com.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.