Front YJ Speaker replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Front YJ Speaker replacement

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-10-2001, 11:09 PM   #1
bluebellyday

Front YJ Speaker replacement

I need to replace the front speakers in my 95Yj What is the speaker size and who makes a good quality replacement speaker?
I have Alpine in my sound bar and in the rear I would like to stay with them if I can.

How much of a pain are they to get out?

bluebellyday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2001, 06:20 AM   #2
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

They are 4x6". They aren't too difficult to remove but takes some disassembly. I took my dash apart to install the speakers the first time around. You can get away with just pulling the dash out as one piece. 4 bolts on each side, next to the speakers. Drop the windshield and then there are some more torx bolts under there, remove those and then the dash should be able to be pulled out enough to get back behind the dash.

I currently have some Rockford Fosgate's. These are my second set of speakers so I've taken the dash apart a couple times.
Unread 08-22-2001, 02:07 PM   #3
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, I've gotta better idea if you don't want to take the dash off, because at the stereo shop I work at, we don't remove the dash to install the 4x6's. If the factory speakers are already removed this will work, just slide the speaker up there and onto the mounting studs. If you have access to some 8 GA. wire, strip off about a 1/2". This insulation will slide onto the mounting studs and mount the speaker securely. We have been doing it this way for years and have never had any problems with the wire insulation no holding securely.

(The drivers side is alittle more difficult than the passenger side, but it can be done.
Unread 08-26-2001, 11:02 PM   #4
I-4

a simple project turned into a 2 day group grope fest the mb quarts i bought where not the same "bolt" pattern as the stock speakers. they were put on 2 of the posts and held in place with those little nuts off of the stock ones.i was finally able,after lots of profanity,able to get enough of my dash aprt to be able to "reach" in.not a pretty sight.
Unread 09-26-2001, 06:03 PM   #5
Willis91YJ

blue belly,
Of course you want alpines... they are the best! They make the alpine SPS 4629P I believe is the model number and don't forget the last P or you will regret it. There is a big difference between 4629 and 4629P's and it's not worth the discount in sound quality to get the cheaper ones! Good Luck man and if you need any help drop me a line
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Aarzak
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys Im planning on doing the same for my 4.0 YJ 1991, I want to install Pioneer speakers 4x6 but a friend of mine told me that is not necessary to remove the whole dash, he said I could actually intall the speakers from underneath.
What do you guys think? any advice? Is that really true?
Thanks in advance
Unread 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
92yjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Go alpine or pioneer...2nd on the installation...but it takes patience...buy from crutchfield and the give you new mounting brackets and wiring harnesses free!
Unread 08-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Aarzak
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok... I tried and i give up...
I manage to remove the front [asenger speaker from underneat BUT, trying to remove the drivers front speakers from underneat is a *****. I give up.
Can any one tell me how? please help
Unread 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

bump, i need ideas too. my speakers from 1993 are turning to powder and dust.
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

that e-brake can get in the way...that's why I went with the centrapod...here is a link tot he full instructions where you fold the windshield frame down...you can replace the seal while you have it all apart...as these YJs love to leak when the seal gets dry.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...nglerFSpk1.htm

Select Increments 91970 - Select Increments Centra-Pod Speaker Enclosure for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
that e-brake can get in the way...that's why I went with the centrapod...here is a link tot he full instructions where you fold the windshield frame down...you can replace the seal while you have it all apart...as these YJs love to leak when the seal gets dry.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...nglerFSpk1.htm

Select Increments 91970 - Select Increments Centra-Pod Speaker Enclosure for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
thanks!! that removal link is killer!
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
SuperGlueHero
2012 JK Wrangler 

Going through my Haynes manual and I stumbled across the speaker removal section. It says to just remove the passenger side by reaching up there and unbolting it. For the driver's side it says to unbolt the parking brake assembly by removing the two nuts that protrude into the engine bay and then one that attaches it to the dash. Once that is out of the way you can probably do it the same way. I agree that folding the windshield down makes it easier, but if you're a little gun-shy to attempt that you can try this method.
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

arite ive read through several of these threads about how to do this. i have the windshield down and the 5 torx under it unbolted from the chasis and the dash will only move up about an inch it wont pull out. there is something else holding it in but i cant see wat it is. anyone know wast im missing? i followed all the steps
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

anyway.. figured it out. not hard just time consuming
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Aarzak
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, can anybody tell me where can I get the torx screws that holds the windshield? they are pretty rusty and since now I know how to replace the front speakers (thanks gily25) I wanna get if possible, stainless steel replacement screws. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.