Front speaker replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Front speaker replacement

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-27-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
jeepguy2005

Front speaker replacement

I was wondering if anybody has put 5x7's in there tj's front speaker locatation? They look like they would fit but want to see if anybody has done this before. If ya had any pics that would be cool. Thanks for any info

33x12.50 Trxus Mts
jeepguy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
mdot

I have.

I have been wanting to post pictures of the install to show what it took, but have yet to get to it.

I installed the Kenwood 5x7s: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pnX7Rsx...p?i=113KFC5708

In general, I had to use my dremmel cutting wheel and trim some metal from the OEM speaker brackets.

I trimmed more than I had to, so if you try it, make sure to plan every cut to keep them down to a minimum.

I could only use two screws, one top and one bottom to install the speaker and I also had to trim a tab off the speaker to get the dash speaker cover back on.

Of course they sound much better that the stock speakers. But not sure how much better than the 5 1/4" conversion plate though. I asked a few months back if it was better to have 5x7 oval or 5 1/4 round, but no one could really answer, so I just gave it a shot.

Last edited by mdot; 03-28-2005 at 08:55 AM..
mdot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
jeepguy2005

Cool thanks for the info i was gonna use these alpine 5x7's: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mG4SSfU...0&I=500SPS570A
33x12.50 Trxus Mts
Unread 03-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
mdot

It looks like the alpines should need the same amount of mod to the brackets. In the next few days, I'll see if I can find and upload the pics I took.
Unread 03-29-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet, I was looking at putting in some of the Rockford Fosgate 5x7's, great to know that they are likely to fit. I was looking at the T1572C model, here is a link to the specs Specs

Did you have to remove much of the metal from the Jeep? I would be really keen to see some pics of your install.

Are you running the stock head unit, or an aftermarket one?
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
mdot

I upgraded the head unit, but that came about a month after the speaker upgrade.

A few ounces of metal were removed. But that was also due to poor planning and visualization of what was interfering with what. With good planning, you should be able to do it with less metal removed.

I'll try to post the pictures tonight.
Unread 03-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
jeepguy2005

you find those pics? if not post them please thanks
33x12.50 Trxus Mts
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
mdot

My apologies. I thought they were still on my camera, but nope. I hoped I uploaded them to my laptop which is up and running. But nope. I can only hope they are in my PC which is packed from my move this weekend.

I promise I took pics, I just need to unpac that guy and if not, I'll open up my jeep and take more.
Unread 04-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

it's awesome you got them to fit....but just for the record, the 5 1/4s would probably have sounded better. round is always better than oval. but good job on the custom fit.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
mdot

I know I know....It is about time I got these posted...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mdot_2...PufyCBCGjPJjRT

It looks like i took about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch out. Basically, I cut until the stock screw holes where removed and favored the inboard side of the bracket. But Like I said earlier, I took too much because of poor planning.

Look at the shape of your speaker, and take small peices out of the metal until it fits.

My hack job did the deal, but I wish I tried a little harder.

Last edited by mdot; 04-06-2005 at 01:10 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.