fog lights turn off when brights are on, how to rid of this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > fog lights turn off when brights are on, how to rid of this?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-20-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
TXjeepTJ

fog lights turn off when brights are on, how to rid of this?

i have the stock jeep fog lights on my jeep and some how they have it wired to where if the fog lights are on- once you flip your headlight brights on they turn off

it would be nice to have fog lights on and brights at the same time since i live in the forest

anyone know how to bypass this?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/my-v8-swap-blog-updates-365293/
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
madrabbitt

The reason behind it is some states regulate that fog lights must only operate with low beams.

There is a way to do it, supposedly by cutting one pin off the relay, i personally cant tell you, but if you search you should find it, or maybe someone can chime in here to tell you.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/fogrelay/

HTH
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Srhmn8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFire

Yup, that's what I did. It worked.
Unread 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
mylt1

or you can rewire with larger wire so you get a little more power going to them then just run them to a switch inside. i usually replace or rewire my fogs so i know they are getting the most power so they will be as bright as they can be. just like of you make a new headlight harness with larger AWG wire you will actuall get brighter light. the factory is the smallest, cheapest wire they can get away with.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Armitage

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
The reason behind it is some states regulate that fog lights must only operate with low beams.
I think it might actually be a federal rule. IIRC, the rule is you cannot have more than three sets of lights operating at any one time. So for example, you have your parking lights, fog lights, and/or low/high beams.

Looking for a good deal on rims, tires, or both!
Armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
madrabbitt

i think you muddied up that there rule there bubba.

I dont know if there is or isnt a federal spec on it, but i can think of at least 4 states that have specific codes on it.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
deltabravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
i think you muddied up that there rule there bubba.

I dont know if there is or isnt a federal spec on it, but i can think of at least 4 states that have specific codes on it.
DITTO.

I don't believe parking lights play into the rule of how many lights can be turned on at any given time.
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
mud-dog27

i know in canada thats the law.....like if ya get caught runnin your extra "off-road" lights on the road depending on which pig you get you may or maynot get a ticket and if they really like ya maybe even a VI
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.