Flush mount auxiliary input installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Flush mount auxiliary input installed

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Flush mount auxiliary input installed

I have been running the Alpine CDA-117 headunit for several months now and I love it. It is everything I was looking for in a headunit. It has awesome Ipod integration via a rear USB input. I use that function with my Ipod for most of my music; however, I wanted to open up to additional options.

(The following end result can be adapted to any headunit with the proper aux adapters)

While this h/u comes with a rear USB input, it does not come with a 3.5mm input jack. It does have the option to add an auxiliary input though. This is the route I wanted to take.
Beyond that, I wanted a dash mounted, flush mount aux input. The Ipod is run into the glove box and I only remove it when I fly or need to update the music, etc. The auxiliary input will almost 100% be used by my Evo 4G cell phone for Pandora and other music, which means it will be unplugged and removed from the vehicle as much as I am....removed. That is where the dash mount comes in.

I found all the parts I needed on Ebay for about $12 total. The first piece of the puzzle was the actual auxiliary adapter for the Alpine h/u. The Alpine brand adapter was about $16. This one is the import version for about a dollar. This plugs in the back of the h/u and ends with female RCAs.
The next piece was the cable that runs between the adapter and the 3.5mm flush mount plug. One end of this cable is male RCAs and the other is a female 3.5mm jack.
The final piece is the actual flush mount 3.5mm jack. The outer end is the female, and the other end is the male that will plug into the middle cable connecting the whole puzzle.

Skipping ahead to having the h/u removed...

I decided that I wanted the jack to be mounted in one of the switch blanks. This location is good for me because it can always be removed without permanent damage done (with a new blank or switch). It is also low enough to keep the cable out of the way.

The cables would be fine to be connected via the RCAs and then tapped together to prevent them from coming unplugged, but I wanted to go for more of a permanent solution and a completely solid connection.
I cut the RCA ends off of the cables and spliced them together; sealed off with heat shrink tube.

Here you can see the aux adapter plugged into the back of the h/u

Everything back together and ready to rock

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's nice to have other input options for music. I installed a USB charger and a 3.5mm audio jack in my Jeep.I also located a combination iPod/iPhone/USB/3.5mm cable. My Pioneer head unit utilizes a 'simple' RCA auxiliary input. If anybody has an iPad, iPhone, iPod, MP3 or some other player/phone device that they would like to play through the head unit or simply just charge it then we're set.

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think I came across that picture of yours while searching a while back. I like what you did with that. I have the airbag deal there, so I could not use that area.

I plan to run a USB splitter/hub and flush mount a USB like you did, while keeping the other USB hidden.
We all know the stock glovebox is not terribly secure, but that is where I lock up the Ipod for now. I have the Tuffy Conceal Carry drawer and I would like to lock the Ipod in there while connected. For that, I am going to run a long USB down the side and into the conceal carry drawer (there is a small opening on the back where the cable could be routed in).
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Materdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
It's nice to have other input options for music. I installed a USB charger and a 3.5mm audio jack in my Jeep.I also located a combination iPod/iPhone/USB/3.5mm cable. My Pioneer head unit utilizes a 'simple' RCA auxiliary input. If anybody has an iPad, iPhone, iPod, MP3 or some other player/phone device that they would like to play through the head unit or simply just charge it then we're set.

Do you have links for those usb and audio jacks?
MyJeepRocks
Materdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materdaddy View Post
Do you have links for those usb and audio jacks?

No longer available from Amazon, but here it is directly: (a little pricey)
L-Com Waterproof USB jack and Cover:
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=33758
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7305
There may be some clearance issues with the HVAC duct if installed in the same location as the photo depicts above.

Poly-Planar MP3/iPod/Satellite Radio Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TXS7MU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Materdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thank you!
MyJeepRocks
Materdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio , auxiliary , auxillary , charging , connector , iphone , ipod , jack , mp3

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.