FLIR Thermal Camera on JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > FLIR Thermal Camera on JK

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
EdsJunk

FLIR Thermal Camera on JK

Hey all, my recent mod, I added a thermal FLIR Camera to my jeep. It is modded, but is awesome to see your way in very dark conditions. And is fully movable with a joystick.

Used a old Cadillac "Night Vision" Camera that use to come on some of there models from 01-05. It truly is a Thermal "FLIR" Camera, not so much Night Vision, but has a similar purpose. This is the same technology used on Apache Helicopters and other military vehicles to spot the enemy at night since there heat is what the camera picks up.I mounted this camera to a GoLight Moveable spot light after removing the bulb and lens. I thought the camera would be smaller than it is and I would be able to mount it inside the GoLight, but it had to be mounted to the outside the still be able to get some up and down movement. The camera video feed is wired directly into my Jeeps Stereo head unit and can display the feed whenever it is selected. The joy stick is mounted directly below the head unit and has a great range of motion (would have a lot more if mounted ontop of the jeep). I turn the camera towards the grill when not in use to protect the lens from debris. Overall I accomplished my goal to have a moveable FLIR camera on my Jeep and I am happy with the results. I will be finding a different system to move the camera to replace to GoLight so that it all fits better and looks a little cleaner.

EdsJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Damn, I like this! Great job. I need this while driving home from work at night. There is a stretch of road about 10 miles long, no cell phone reception, and typically I count 10-15 deer along the road at night. I just KNOW that someday I'm going to have a close encounter with one of them.

On a Jeep note, how well do you think your camera would be for trail riding at night?
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.